Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-07-2012, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's all i've used, so i can't compare them to anything. When it gets low on power, i just scrape out the exhaust port. I take off the spark arrester. I cut away the plastic so i can have easy access to removing muffler. It's much easier than taking that shell off. I get lots of trouble free use out of them. Also, thumbs up to my husqvarna hedge trimmers.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by american dream View Post
I have a echo a buddy brought me from a trash can that he found,it would not start.i dumped the gas out put in fresh an it is now what refer to as "The Screamer" it rocks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Get back to me in 1 year and tell me what you think of it. Maybe I'm getting particular in my old age but I think for $250-$350 bucks a supposed commercial line trimmer should last a long time. Man they don't make them like they used to and it's not just the ethanol gumming up the carbs either.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I still can't figure out how so many have problems with echos. I have only 1 piece of the gray echo left. And have 5 of new Orange. Starts first pull and never bogs or floods. I use cheap ethonal mixed gas and echo oil. I change air filters maybe once a year and never change any of the other filters. Never do anything but put string and gas in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
I agree with you totally. The problem is these guys can't do any maintenance beyond replacing filter and spark plugs. And they don't ever figure out how to find the adjustment needles. Our guys runs our orange units until the exhaust ports are practically closed then i clean em out and good to go. Sadly we lose more to the thieve than wear out.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JParisan View Post
Echo switched to orange because it was bought by husqavarna
I don't believe Husqvarna owns Echo they own Redmax.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a srm 266t and hope it serves me good like my srm210 did.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-07-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimslawncareservice View Post
I still can't figure out how so many have problems with echos. I have only 1 piece of the gray echo left. And have 5 of new Orange. Starts first pull and never bogs or floods. I use cheap ethonal mixed gas and echo oil. I change air filters maybe once a year and never change any of the other filters. Never do anything but put string and gas in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
I agree with you totally. The problem is these guys can't do any maintenance beyond replacing filter and spark plugs. And they don't ever figure out how to find the adjustment needles. Our guys runs our orange units until the exhaust ports are practically closed then i clean em out and good to go. Sadly we lose more to the thieve than wear out.
I agree with both of you totally.I've got 9 piece of Echo gear and only needed one carb adjusted......I'll KEEP BUYING ECHO.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Echo for me too. I have a classic srm210 going on 15 years old. It needed a carb last year. Runs great all day long.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 PM
LawnSite Member

So i had to swing by the office/shop to grab some paperwork to get done done after dinner and family time......i have a parts area, which includes complete units that are just shot....parts only, a back up for the back up area that get worked on and mproved when i get time.....a back up area and a front line area. I grabbed a parts blower, an old echo, like cant figure out the model and it has more duct tape than a roll throughout......i replaced the plug and boot, played with the carb.....ripped out the spark arrest.......a little ether here and there.....a carb adjustment.......8 prime pushes.....two pulls at full choke and then one off......running. That blower hasnt been run in three years.........im thinking pb 755 or 770, cant tell it got ran over by trailer and pounded on for a while......everything is worn off, goooooo echo!
4 echo Pas 266 with 2 of everything
3 echo srm 230 whackers
Echo 330t 12" 341t 12", 400 18", 440 16", 550 20", 6000 36". Husky unknown frankenstein 32" that could chip the terminator!
Echo PPT 280
3 echo pb 770t
2 echo pb 755t
4 echo hc 165
2 echo hc 185
And...... 1 1980s snapper hi vac i found in a trash heap that only needed a spark plug.....still running strong with a little duct tape and silly putty!
Old 08-08-2012, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Why should I have to do that when I run Shindaiwas for years with just replacing the air filter and spark plugs? For my money I want a damn well running implement that doesn't need cleaning the carbon out.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one echo trimmer and a echo handheld blower. I have a stihl bp blower, stihl trimmer (fs80r) and a swisher 3000 trimmer (rebranded shidiwia even says it on the grip around the throttle. The stihls start by the third pull and in 4 to 6 years ive had it never have given me any troubles. The shidi is also good, can be a pain to start but tons of power (it has the c4 engine). the echo trimmer imo is the most comfotable of them all, however it can be a ***** to start and the choke lever and primer bulb broke. Small items however its only a year or so old. THe stihl still has the original primer bulb and choke lever. the echo blower has been ok the primer bulb, pull starter, and throttle cable all broke. I paid and fixed them myself becasue I wasnt gonna let them sit at a dealer for 2 weeks for a simple repair. I tried to get him to order the parts and let me install but he wouldnt do it. I wont be buying any more echo products unless I have to, while my products havent been bad per say, they have required more work than other brands I have. The most reliable is stihl and believe it or not cub cadet commercial hedge trimmers I got 6 years ago are also extremely reliable...