Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #71  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWhittle View Post
In comparison to the majority of others on this thread, I am very new to the business. However, yesterday, I bought a brand new 225 from HD. I feel like I hit an invisible switch called, "insta-flood." I literally wasted an hour d***ing with it, at a client's house. It was, needless to say, embarrassing. However, my back up, a POS (supposedly) homeowner, curved shaft, $99.00, multi-head toro that my wife had before we got married, as usual, started right up and finished the out the day. I am 6'3" and despite my back pain because the Toro is tiny, I was saved by the supposed POS homeowner, hooky line trimmer.

Honestly, I understand that the Echo flooding may have been a result of user error, but I really don't know. I've used small engine tools my entire life; I have never had this kind of flooding issues. I really don't know what to think about the brand. Again, I have not owned them for "years" as many others have, but I can say that my first impression was: Not impressed.
Could you elaborate on how exactly it flooded? What were you doing when this happened? What were you doing before it happened?

I mean, if the manual says move switch to start, pump primer bulb 5 times, set choke, SET UNIT FLAT, hold trigger in and pull start cord, move choke to run, hold trigger and pull cord (all while keeping unit flat) how does it flood?

**Also, why do people on here keep comparing their experience with Home Depot Echo's to Echos in general such as ones from a shop used for commercial use?
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
ed2hess's Avatar
ed2hess ed2hess is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Austin Texas 78727
Posts: 11,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWhittle View Post
In comparison to the majority of others on this thread, I am very new to the business. However, yesterday, I bought a brand new 225 from HD. I feel like I hit an invisible switch called, "insta-flood." I literally wasted an hour d***ing with it, at a client's house. It was, needless to say, embarrassing. However, my back up, a POS (supposedly) homeowner, curved shaft, $99.00, multi-head toro that my wife had before we got married, as usual, started right up and finished the out the day. I am 6'3" and despite my back pain because the Toro is tiny, I was saved by the supposed POS homeowner, hooky line trimmer.

Honestly, I understand that the Echo flooding may have been a result of user error, but I really don't know. I've used small engine tools my entire life; I have never had this kind of flooding issues. I really don't know what to think about the brand. Again, I have not owned them for "years" as many others have, but I can say that my first impression was: Not impressed.
Do you know what to do if you think any piece of equipment is flooded? What would you do on your mower if gas leaked past the carb and flooded the cyclinder? Just in case they didn't put this in the manual yuo remove the plug and pull it over a few time. Or normally you can turn the echo to off and pull the rope a few times then back to on. Never ever ever ever push that primer on an echo.
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
frotis's Avatar
frotis frotis is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North East
Posts: 368
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWhittle View Post
In comparison to the majority of others on this thread, I am very new to the business. However, yesterday, I bought a brand new 225 from HD. I feel like I hit an invisible switch called, "insta-flood." I literally wasted an hour d***ing with it, at a client's house. It was, needless to say, embarrassing. However, my back up, a POS (supposedly) homeowner, curved shaft, $99.00, multi-head toro that my wife had before we got married, as usual, started right up and finished the out the day. I am 6'3" and despite my back pain because the Toro is tiny, I was saved by the supposed POS homeowner, hooky line trimmer.

Honestly, I understand that the Echo flooding may have been a result of user error, but I really don't know. I've used small engine tools my entire life; I have never had this kind of flooding issues. I really don't know what to think about the brand. Again, I have not owned them for "years" as many others have, but I can say that my first impression was: Not impressed.
I see this as a non-issue, once you know how the machine operates you won't have this problem again. Seems like you flooded it and now you know not to do it in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
BPS##'s Avatar
BPS## BPS## is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WY
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That sounds like a lemon. Again its a chance you take buying from a big box store. Had it been a dealer the mechanic would have fueled, started and tuned the unit before it even left the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device




Exactly. Which is why husky, echo, and stihl commercial line equipment isn't sold at places like HD, Lowes, Murdochs etc. Only the low end home owner stuff.
__________________
Professionals are people who can do their job when they don't feel like it.
Amateurs are people that can't do their job even when they do feel like it.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM
BPS##'s Avatar
BPS## BPS## is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: WY
Posts: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post

**Also, why do people on here keep comparing their experience with Home Depot Echo's to Echos in general such as ones from a shop used for commercial use?




I do not expect an answer.
__________________
Professionals are people who can do their job when they don't feel like it.
Amateurs are people that can't do their job even when they do feel like it.
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 AM
leon2245's Avatar
leon2245 leon2245 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
I am extremely angry, because I know too much about trimmers.
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 AM
fredmullegun fredmullegun is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
I am extremely angry, because I know too much about trimmers.
No, not too much. We still have a long way to go.


Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
AEWhittle AEWhittle is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 15
A lot of guys I know around here have been in biz a long, long time (as in generations) and always use the echo trimmers from HD. They are more cheap, and I think they have the adequate knowledge to make any necessary adjustments/repairs. Aaaaaanyways...

So yesterday was day 3 of my HD echo 225. Basically, I don't follow the directions with my cold start. choke position pump bulb 3-4 times and give it one pull, move to run and BAM! starts right up. I even did it again late last night. I just needed to get to know my equip a little bit better. If that's what she likes, then that's what she gets.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM
ron mexico75's Avatar
ron mexico75 ron mexico75 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWhittle View Post
A lot of guys I know around here have been in biz a long, long time (as in generations) and always use the echo trimmers from HD. They are more cheap, and I think they have the adequate knowledge to make any necessary adjustments/repairs. Aaaaaanyways...

So yesterday was day 3 of my HD echo 225. Basically, I don't follow the directions with my cold start. choke position pump bulb 3-4 times and give it one pull, move to run and BAM! starts right up. I even did it again late last night. I just needed to get to know my equip a little bit better. If that's what she likes, then that's what she gets.
Well thats good to hear. Directions are your friend! It can mean the difference between going around your a** to get to your elbow or simply reaching under you arm to scratch your elbow.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM
leon2245's Avatar
leon2245 leon2245 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWhittle View Post
A lot of guys I know around here have been in biz a long, long time (as in generations) and always use the echo trimmers from HD. They are more cheap, and I think they have the adequate knowledge to make any necessary adjustments/repairs. Aaaaaanyways...

So yesterday was day 3 of my HD echo 225. Basically, I don't follow the directions with my cold start. choke position pump bulb 3-4 times and give it one pull, move to run and BAM! starts right up. I even did it again late last night. I just needed to get to know my equip a little bit better. If that's what she likes, then that's what she gets.
Here at lawnsite, we don't talk about echos from Home Depot.

UNACCEPTABLE!

Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:22 PM.

Page generated in 0.11256 seconds with 8 queries