Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEWhittle View Post
In comparison to the majority of others on this thread, I am very new to the business. However, yesterday, I bought a brand new 225 from HD. I feel like I hit an invisible switch called, "insta-flood." I literally wasted an hour d***ing with it, at a client's house. It was, needless to say, embarrassing. However, my back up, a POS (supposedly) homeowner, curved shaft, $99.00, multi-head toro that my wife had before we got married, as usual, started right up and finished the out the day. I am 6'3" and despite my back pain because the Toro is tiny, I was saved by the supposed POS homeowner, hooky line trimmer.

Honestly, I understand that the Echo flooding may have been a result of user error, but I really don't know. I've used small engine tools my entire life; I have never had this kind of flooding issues. I really don't know what to think about the brand. Again, I have not owned them for "years" as many others have, but I can say that my first impression was: Not impressed.
Could you elaborate on how exactly it flooded? What were you doing when this happened? What were you doing before it happened?

I mean, if the manual says move switch to start, pump primer bulb 5 times, set choke, SET UNIT FLAT, hold trigger in and pull start cord, move choke to run, hold trigger and pull cord (all while keeping unit flat) how does it flood?

**Also, why do people on here keep comparing their experience with Home Depot Echo's to Echos in general such as ones from a shop used for commercial use?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
In comparison to the majority of others on this thread, I am very new to the business. However, yesterday, I bought a brand new 225 from HD. I feel like I hit an invisible switch called, "insta-flood." I literally wasted an hour d***ing with it, at a client's house. It was, needless to say, embarrassing. However, my back up, a POS (supposedly) homeowner, curved shaft, $99.00, multi-head toro that my wife had before we got married, as usual, started right up and finished the out the day. I am 6'3" and despite my back pain because the Toro is tiny, I was saved by the supposed POS homeowner, hooky line trimmer.

Honestly, I understand that the Echo flooding may have been a result of user error, but I really don't know. I've used small engine tools my entire life; I have never had this kind of flooding issues. I really don't know what to think about the brand. Again, I have not owned them for "years" as many others have, but I can say that my first impression was: Not impressed.
Do you know what to do if you think any piece of equipment is flooded? What would you do on your mower if gas leaked past the carb and flooded the cyclinder? Just in case they didn't put this in the manual yuo remove the plug and pull it over a few time. Or normally you can turn the echo to off and pull the rope a few times then back to on. Never ever ever ever push that primer on an echo.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

I see this as a non-issue, once you know how the machine operates you won't have this problem again. Seems like you flooded it and now you know not to do it in the future.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
That sounds like a lemon. Again its a chance you take buying from a big box store. Had it been a dealer the mechanic would have fueled, started and tuned the unit before it even left the shop.
Posted via Mobile Device

Exactly. Which is why husky, echo, and stihl commercial line equipment isn't sold at places like HD, Lowes, Murdochs etc. Only the low end home owner stuff.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron mexico75 View Post

**Also, why do people on here keep comparing their experience with Home Depot Echo's to Echos in general such as ones from a shop used for commercial use?

I do not expect an answer.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Member

I am extremely angry, because I know too much about trimmers.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon2245 View Post
I am extremely angry, because I know too much about trimmers.
No, not too much. We still have a long way to go.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

A lot of guys I know around here have been in biz a long, long time (as in generations) and always use the echo trimmers from HD. They are more cheap, and I think they have the adequate knowledge to make any necessary adjustments/repairs. Aaaaaanyways...

So yesterday was day 3 of my HD echo 225. Basically, I don't follow the directions with my cold start. choke position pump bulb 3-4 times and give it one pull, move to run and BAM! starts right up. I even did it again late last night. I just needed to get to know my equip a little bit better. If that's what she likes, then that's what she gets.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
A lot of guys I know around here have been in biz a long, long time (as in generations) and always use the echo trimmers from HD. They are more cheap, and I think they have the adequate knowledge to make any necessary adjustments/repairs. Aaaaaanyways...

So yesterday was day 3 of my HD echo 225. Basically, I don't follow the directions with my cold start. choke position pump bulb 3-4 times and give it one pull, move to run and BAM! starts right up. I even did it again late last night. I just needed to get to know my equip a little bit better. If that's what she likes, then that's what she gets.
Well thats good to hear. Directions are your friend! It can mean the difference between going around your a** to get to your elbow or simply reaching under you arm to scratch your elbow.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

Here at lawnsite, we don't talk about echos from Home Depot.

UNACCEPTABLE!