Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Rejuvinating pruning (Salvia's/ Hydrangea's)

Two separate things.

I'm doing a big pruning job and need to address some Leggy Salvia and Hydrangea's. They are all around the 3 to 4' height range and the majority of the plant is woody looking and the top bit is green. I'm curious what I can get away with on these guys.

I'm pretty sure that now is the proper time to prune Hydrangea's and I can cut them as far back as I want as long as I cut them to a bud. Can anybody confirm this???

I don't know the name of the salvia and realize there are 1000's of varieties but is there a rule of thumb on these. For the most part when you prune the one's that are leggy and woody do you have to cut back into the new growth or can you get away with cutting them down to the ground and then letting them grow back???

Thanks in advance
Old 07-26-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Being in Cali, I'm not sure when the correct time is for pruning for you guys.

Hydrangeas here tend to either be the hardy kind where the old wood will stay through the winter, and others will die back to the ground, such as endless summer hydrangeas.

Not sure if the salvia you are referring to is a woody ornamental, or just a standard perennial.

So, with our zone 5, we wait until the fall or winter to cut back such plants. The perennial flowering saliva will die back to the ground, so we just wait until the first frost to kill them back and then cut. If your is a year round plant, then you can probably cut back to a 6"-8" mound and be safe.

As for Hydrangeas, I wait until late winter, early spring to trim those.

But, from my experience with most wood shrubs, you can cut back to a good bud like you mentioned. Just as long as the weather conditions are right for you and there is ample moisture, you should have no problems.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 07-27-2012, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the response White Gardens. I found some additional information on the web that leads me to the conclusion that the salvias can not be coppiced. Instead I should cut them back a little bit but not beyond the leafy green area.

We have mostly old wood type of hydrangea's here, I should be fine cutting those back to lower buds.