Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-15-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Improving Bermuda Density

Let me get the technical details out of the way first:

Grass: Transcontinental Bermuda (Seeded) June last year.
Soil: Did a soil test last year and most everything was okay except N which I resolved.
Fertilization: I normally use Lesco from Home Depot but this year I have been applying a 34,0,0 from Lowes.
Cut: I use a manual reel at about 1 inch to 1 1/4.
Sunlight: No shade with most parts getting 8 - 10 hours of sunlight a day.

It is filling in really well and responding to the fertilizer. However, I think the turf could be more dense.

I would like to get opinions on the density of the turf and how I can increase density of an improved common type such as transcontinental.

You can see the link to the pictures below that show the progress up to late last week. The last picture showing the close up was taken shortly before this post. Also the very large rectangular area has been seeded and is already growing in with the increased temps lately.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1130353...eat=directlink
Old 05-15-2012, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How often do you fertilize?
Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Member

I usually fertilize about every 3 to 4 weeks. At a rate of about 1lb N per 1000 sq ft.. However, I also play it by eye to see how the bermuda is responding or looks. I don't want to over fertilize or burn it. However, I did go out and look closer and something I notice that may or may not be correct is the fact that it seems I am getting a significant amount of stolon growth but foliage is less plentiful. I would think with a pure N fertilizer I am using right now it would be more balanced in growth.

Last edited by martman100; 05-15-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

light topdressing, deep infrequent irrigation and maybe give your turf some potash every once in a while too!

I do not know much about your cultivator of bermuda but I would also check your height of cut. Apical dominance would come into play at some point and if the turf is being allowed to become too tall could be limiting your spread.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-15-2012, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Poet beat me to it. A high potash content will have it running into the neighbors yard and across the driveway in no time.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Reel mowing Bermuda will improve density like nothing else...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-15-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Reel mowing Bermuda will improve density like nothing else...
Posted via Mobile Device
That is what I was thinking but in his notes he is saying that he does use a reel, maybe he is not cutting low or frequent enough?

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 05-15-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's also kinda early in the season. About a month from now it will be way more dense.

For example
Right now my backyard is pretty thin from the dogs trampling it...however just as it does every year, by about June it's super thick and dense and I'm mowing it every 2-3 days.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:05 PM
LawnSite Member

I cut about every 2 to 3 days depending on the growth. Last year I used Lesco 24-3-11 about every 5 to 6 weeks at the same rate and had the same density but worse color. So I figured I would try a more N rich start this year to see where it got me. Plus I needed it to fill in the bare spots which it has done well.
I do use a manual push reel and it cuts well as I just sharpened the blades.
The frustrating thing is the fact that neighbors who have the wild bermuda in their yards has a more dense growth.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

macgyver just seen your post. That has also crossed my mind in regards to the heat and density. I am going to measure my cut on the reel tomorrow. Also looking at the stolons the foliage is spaced a lot further apart than expected. Is that a sign of too much N or just the cultivar of the bermuda?