Register free!

Old 08-08-2012, 03:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Lesson Learn or is it from Lack of Rain !!!!

I tried some Spread it and Forget and I went with Northern Formula - 34-0-7 with 0.10% dithiopyr because of the early spring to help with jump on early weeds already showing up since I got my certification card late this spring. Was applied 4/14/12 at 8.70lbs per 1000 Sq. Ft. Started out good, but in June the rain stop coming and its been dry from lack of rain moderate drought conditions here in Appleton WI. This lawn has no irrigation dependent on just rain fall. I thought that the slow release would only be produce when conditions was correct after morning dew or rainfall. But i think that even though there was no rain that the product still release during the day with no rain and over time began to damage the lawn. Even though there was no rain I think early morning dew mite of been the factor in releasing the product then 99 degree weather starting killing the grass or making it go dormant, but i think its killing the grass in high sun areas but grass still looks good in areas where shade is thought out the day. Spreader use was a Anderson Sr 2000 and calibrated and even double check again and is good to the ounce.

1. So if i am correct then i should of never applied a SIFI on a lawn with no irrigation?

2. Or is this just common to see this happening because of the lack of rain?

3. Anything mite help this lawn or just over seed it this fall ?
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

This appears to be nothing more than just pure drought stress on cool season grasses.
You can run the gauntlet if you want but the appearance and your description of the temps and lack of rainfall should be a dead give away.
I don't use that product as my normal fert. would have been applied at 2.7 #'s per K rather than 8.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You didn't do anything wrong. If you applied that product on 4/14/12 and it's burned out now, it's simply a case of lack of water and high temperatures. Normally, if you apply too much fertilizer, it'll burn within a few days and it will be an Amber/Orange coloring. To see this type of burning months after an application, you have to assume it's from lack of water. Nothing grows in the Desert! If you have a soil probe, I would pull some soil cores to make sure. Compare them to cores pulled in the shaded spot around the house. I bet you'll see a difference in soil moisture.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Member

This has nothing to do with SIfi... We use it on all our properties and we would of had the same summer stress damage if we had used a traditional fertilizer. I actually think the damage is reduced by using the slow release sifi...I know the fungus is reduced by using sifi... We apply at around 7 lbs per k
Old 08-08-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ya, that lawn looks great compared to all of ours around here.

And this was 6 weeks ago, it's depressing to look at it now.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 AM
LawnSite Member

That's good news and thanks for the tip on checking soil moisture and I'll post the results.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
Ya, that lawn looks great compared to all of ours around here.

And this was 6 weeks ago, it's depressing to look at it now.

We're 2 worlds apart yet some of your lawns and some of my lawns look exactly the same.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you check with a soil probe--soil can be just as dry in the shade--but--the grass will look better because of less intense sunlight and less heat. It is normal for drought injured grass to be a bit patchy--because certain areas have different seed types. A blue-rye mixture may burn out unevenly due to varying amounts and clumps of blue and rye. Certain types of blue grass will survive better.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Member

It looks like insect damage to me. Have you applied any insecticides? Im in St. Louis and have been fighting Chinch bugs and Billbugs all season.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That quite possibly is sod webworm damage. Research the little critters and then go check the lawn out. I have been pounded with it here in the GB area. If you see little white moths flying around then its probably them.The moths don't do the direct damage the larvae do it. People complain because their lawn looks bad but when I tell them that twenty dollars worth of water would have prevented hundreds in damage repair they cry.