Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-18-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmacd View Post
It is an interesting topic and a fun thread to read. Construction work of any kind is not easy or anybody would do it.

The only way I found to be in control of my time and profit is to do as much of the work as possible. I purchased a 1989 Mack dump truck back 10 years ago and a now have a second 2001 Mack dump. Although they are not real profit making machines they are mandatory in any kind of material moving.

Look at any companies that move any amount of material on daily basis and they have a dump truck. When you export material out what do you do? Hire a dump truck out to sit and be loaded?

Even the small landscapers, masons, or hardscapers here have a small dump truck. I understand the reluctance to spend the money but from what I have read DVS looks to be doing some volume and maybe it's time for him to buy a dump truck.

My business is not hardscaping so maybe I am living on a cloud. What would be your average quantity of material (yards) that need to be imported and exported in a week?

I hear ya, but I will never buy a truck over 26,000 - 33,000 pounds.

The bulk of our work is in the DC / Northern VA area. That area is infested with dirt haulers. Most of them driving old, beat up trucks, and they haul for cheap. It's far cheaper to pay them.

Total different world in that market.

Now the top soil - thats a company that processes soil, sells, and delivers. The owner doesnt like to tell anyone "NO". He is so busy and thats why he cant make his deliveries on time. I really like the guy. But we cant sit around all morning and wait for his soil to get there.

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.