Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-24-2012, 04:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Small but steep hill

I have a small hill but steep hill on the side of my house that i dont mow because it is dangerous so i usualy cit it with a string trimmer once a month or so but this summer i have neglected it and let it get well over a foot tall and laying down so i am looking for some advice on how to cut it now and make it easier to cut in the future so i dont let it get this bad again

The hill is about 35 feet Long at about a 25* angle with a tree line on one side a rock retaining wall on the other and a wooded area on the bottom.

I was thinking about buying a new trimmer with a hedge trimmer attachment like this but I really dont want to waste $300 to $500 and find out it dosnt work. Has anyonr tried somthing like this or have any better ideas?

Last edited by UFO8MyCow; 08-24-2012 at 04:09 AM.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

A hedge trimmer will cut grass just dine but it's heavy and slow...just use a string trimmer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-24-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Welcome to Lawnsite. First post, congrats. I don't know if you are a lawn care operator or not but if you have your pesticide application license I would spray it with a PGR and make cutting so much less of an issue while still maintaining a decent turf. I don't know the laws in Minnesota but you may be able to buy PGRs and apply them to you own property without a license however I would advise you to read any label and follow the directions to the letter. Good Luck.

Embark is a relatively affordable and effective PGR. USe a little ferromec to keep the green and then a little Embark and much less mowing.

http://www.pbigordon.com/professiona...regulators.php
Old 09-02-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the stihl version of the adjustable angle hedge trimmer. It will cut the grass great. But as already stated it IS heavy. That said stihl makes a smaller (shorter) version for using it like a weedeater...so it should be lighter.....I haven't bought it yet but will next season.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO8MyCow View Post
I have a small hill but steep hill on the side of my house that i dont mow because it is dangerous so i usualy cit it with a string trimmer once a month or so but this summer i have neglected it and let it get well over a foot tall and laying down so i am looking for some advice on how to cut it now and make it easier to cut in the future so i dont let it get this bad again

The hill is about 35 feet Long at about a 25* angle with a tree line on one side a rock retaining wall on the other and a wooded area on the bottom.

I was thinking about buying a new trimmer with a hedge trimmer attachment like this but I really dont want to waste $300 to $500 and find out it dosnt work. Has anyonr tried somthing like this or have any better ideas?
Just put a grass blade on your string trimmer. I do it all the time. It works great for tall overgrown grass on hills on my propety which are not mowable. I also use it to trim daylillies to the ground in the fall. If there is brush you can use a brush blade. Most trimmers will accept these blades.

See an example:
http://www.stihlusa.com/products/tri...es/grassblade/

I have had my blade for several years - I don't think I paid more than $15-20 for it (but do not actually recall).
Old 09-04-2012, 02:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Take guard off trimmer, let out 24" of string and trim away...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-06-2012, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You might want to consider getting for a more powerful string trimmer that would not bog down as easily. You should probably be looking at something in the 30cc range. I'd also use large diameter line (I like Husqvarna .105 Titanium) and a SpeedFeed head - loads much faster and easier.