Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-20-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Scalping is never ideal. I am just saying that doing it once and getting it over with is better than removing more than 1/3 of the blade over and over again.

The Bermuda will survive... we often scalp it at the worst possible time, early fall when it is trying to put up energy stores for the winter.... for over seeding with winter rye.

I think if you look at my earlier post, I said to live with it this year, fill in some of the worst low spots with 1/4 to 1/2" compost. Scalp and level in the spring. That would be ideal.

It is very cool here too for the time of year but I doubt it will be cool enough to send bermuda into early dormancy. I may shift my last N app up a couple of weeks however.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I reviewed, I did not specifically mention spring but we were also talking about a link which recommended May. I was talking about managing until that time.

How old is this thread anyway?
Old 08-20-2012, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

Thread is a new one, I scalped it like 14 days ago, starting to green up. Hasn't reached into the 50's at my house yet, more like 65-67 at night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You are pretty far north so I would do a 1/2 app of N now. I would do another app with some N &K in it around Sept 15th. Have you pulled a soil test?

You have time to pull one, get the results and do what they say on or around Sept 15th based on a frost Nov 1.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
You are pretty far north so I would do a 1/2 app of N now. I would do another app with some N &K in it around Sept 15th. Have you pulled a soil test?

You have time to pull one, get the results and do what they say on or around Sept 15th based on a frost Nov 1.
I did a full application of Scott's w/ Summerguard Last Thursday I believe.

I plan to send soil into Logan's. I have a pile of dirt obtained from me digging plant holes all around the yard sitting outside the fence, it has not been fertilized, and should yield non tampered results.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwhere1 View Post
I did a full application of Scott's w/ Summerguard Last Thursday I believe.

I plan to send soil into Logan's. I have a pile of dirt obtained from me digging plant holes all around the yard sitting outside the fence, it has not been fertilized, and should yield non tampered results.
Provided that is a representive sample of what the lawn is on it should work.

IIRCC you had top soil brought in or the builder did.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Member

It will be representative of what is there. We didn't have any soil brought in.

My soil is Georgia red clay, the only "topsoil" on the lawn is what came with the sod. Even the areas that were undisturbed and then sodded were the very same red clay, with not topsoil.

The contractors comments were "the is the best construction soil I've seen in years". The concrete guy's comment "nah you don't need piers under this patio, this soil is hard as a rock".

It was pretty crazy, the areas where they moved dirt around and filled up 3 feet or so, that soil is hard as a rock.

I think a lot or aeration is in my future.

The whole yard (front) is the same as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad you guys don't live in Florida. Our lows are at 77-79. This will last till end of October or so.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-20-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
If the OP is in GA it's too late...we've have nights in the 50's and 60's and daytime highs of 85 for a few weeks which is not normal this time of year here.
Posted via Mobile Device
So I did some checking, and the closest weather station to me is a couple of miles (don't know if this is close to you or not http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/archiv...KGAWINDE1.html) it has reported two nights below 60, Aug. 12 and 13th at 58 and 59. The rest of the nights since i scalped the grass have been 67-69. Forecast is for low to middle 60's next 10 days.

None of this matters as I've already done what I did. I was interested in hearing what you would do (per your first post in this thread).

I need to research at what temps Bermuda starts to go dormant, so i can try and figure out my last fertilizer timing.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

it prob needs to get more water!

Lets max out the hits my explains post count.[/SIZE]
Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well