Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-21-2012, 10:42 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwhere1 View Post
So I did some checking, and the closest weather station to me is a couple of miles (don't know if this is close to you or not http://www.pwsweather.com/obs/archiv...KGAWINDE1.html) it has reported two nights below 60, Aug. 12 and 13th at 58 and 59. The rest of the nights since i scalped the grass have been 67-69. Forecast is for low to middle 60's next 10 days.

None of this matters as I've already done what I did. I was interested in hearing what you would do (per your first post in this thread).

I need to research at what temps Bermuda starts to go dormant, so i can try and figure out my last fertilizer timing.
I checked for you. Typical First Frost is Nov 1 so 6 weeks prior is Sept 15th.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:23 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Bermuda like 70's at night and 90's during the day...it's recovers quickest at these temps. As for the last fert, min 30 days before first frost. As soon as we have a week of temps in the 50s at night I wouldn't apply fert...don't think it will do much good.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-21-2012, 04:46 PM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Bermuda like 70's at night and 90's during the day...it's recovers quickest at these temps. As for the last fert, min 30 days before first frost. As soon as we have a week of temps in the 50s at night I wouldn't apply fert...don't think it will do much good.
Posted via Mobile Device
To be clear his is talking about N... You can still Feed some K in October.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 09-06-2012, 11:47 AM
NEwhere1 NEwhere1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 63
Okay here are some updated pics, taken over the past few days. Starting to look nice again.

These were taken at various stages of mowing (if you notice any difference between them that is the reason)









Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:10 PM
macgyver_GA macgyver_GA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 815
It's looking good. We're suppose to get a cold front this weekend so it'll start to slow the growth. The rain we've had the last few days has made the lawns grow like crazy. Also, bc I put my last high N app down the 3rd week of August. My Next app is a high K w/ pre-m for winter weeds in about 4 weeks. Then Lime in Dec.

I was mowing mine every 3 days for most of them summer but I've kinda slowed up on that at this point since the growth has slowed down for the most part. Also, the week long beach vacation in August kinda stopped that too since I went about 8 days w/o mowing.

I'm gonna do the same thing as you've done to mine next spring. I plan on buying a reel over the winter and I'll train it short next season starting in the spring. I'll need to topdress it in order to get it short though. I started out this year at 1.5" with a rotary and I'm at 1.75" now.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-06-2012, 12:16 PM
NEwhere1 NEwhere1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
It's looking good. We're suppose to get a cold front this weekend so it'll start to slow the growth. The rain we've had the last few days has made the lawns grow like crazy. Also, bc I put my last high N app down the 3rd week of August. My Next app is a high K w/ pre-m for winter weeds in about 4 weeks. Then Lime in Dec.

I was mowing mine every 3 days for most of them summer but I've kinda slowed up on that at this point since the growth has slowed down for the most part. Also, the week long beach vacation in August kinda stopped that too since I went about 8 days w/o mowing.

I'm gonna do the same thing as you've done to mine next spring. I plan on buying a reel over the winter and I'll train it short next season starting in the spring. I'll need to topdress it in order to get it short though. I started out this year at 1.5" with a rotary and I'm at 1.75" now.
I don't know how much lawn you have to mow, i have around 8000-9000 sq ft. and my 20" reel is too small really. I haven't timed it, but it takes me probably an hour to mow it all, then add in trimming the areas i can't mow, edging, blowing i'm looking at 1.75 hours.

I bought this reel used from Craigslist for $5XX (forgot) and then paid to get it backlapped, found a better place to take it now. Will have new chains put on next season and bed knife resurfaced.

I looked for a used one for a couple reasons, but mainly just to find out if I liked using it, how well it worked, and if I could handle mowing every 3-4 days.

At some point in the future, not next year, after lawn has been leveled, i'm going to have to step it up to 25 or 27" and get a commercial version with drive wheel in the rear center, probably go used on that if i can find a fair deal.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-06-2012, 02:08 PM
macgyver_GA macgyver_GA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwhere1 View Post
I don't know how much lawn you have to mow, i have around 8000-9000 sq ft. and my 20" reel is too small really. I haven't timed it, but it takes me probably an hour to mow it all, then add in trimming the areas i can't mow, edging, blowing i'm looking at 1.75 hours.

I bought this reel used from Craigslist for $5XX (forgot) and then paid to get it backlapped, found a better place to take it now. Will have new chains put on next season and bed knife resurfaced.

I looked for a used one for a couple reasons, but mainly just to find out if I liked using it, how well it worked, and if I could handle mowing every 3-4 days.

At some point in the future, not next year, after lawn has been leveled, i'm going to have to step it up to 25 or 27" and get a commercial version with drive wheel in the rear center, probably go used on that if i can find a fair deal.
My lawn is about 2500-3000 sq ft total. I can mow (w/ my 36" WB), trim, edge, blow in about 20 minutes. Mowing w/ 21"er takes me about 20-30 minutes double cutting. Then add another 10-15 for trimming, edging, and blowing. I've designed the landscape to be very efficient with very little space missed by my 36" WB which requires less trimming.

I'll probably end up getting a used 20" Tru-cut like you have. I almost bought one off craigslist a couple weeks ago because it was a steal but I had to tell myself no haha. Maybe I can buy a 25"er and we can trade. You're just down the road from me.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-06-2012, 02:16 PM
NEwhere1 NEwhere1 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Woodstock, GA
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
My lawn is about 2500-3000 sq ft total. I can mow (w/ my 36" WB), trim, edge, blow in about 20 minutes. Mowing w/ 21"er takes me about 20-30 minutes double cutting. Then add another 10-15 for trimming, edging, and blowing. I've designed the landscape to be very efficient with very little space missed by my 36" WB which requires less trimming.

I'll probably end up getting a used 20" Tru-cut like you have. I almost bought one off craigslist a couple weeks ago because it was a steal but I had to tell myself no haha. Maybe I can buy a 25"er and we can trade. You're just down the road from me.
When trying to find a shop to take mine too, I asked a driving range near me (http://www.georgiagolfcenter.com/)what they do about their reels....they said they go to this guy for service http://www.turfequipmentused.com/ I called him up, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about, better than the place I originally took it. I ended up taking it to my local Ace Hardware (Morgan's) but i'm thinking next time i'm going to Franklin (able turf and tractor). I also asked a few landscape companies who they use and they told me this guy (https://plus.google.com/109406700512...ut?gl=us&hl=en) who doesn't have a real website, I took it there and he checked it out and back lapped it. He did an okay job for cheap, but didn't strike me as very professional or up-to-date, however my reel is sharp, and makes nice contact/cuts paper etc.

It might be worth stopping buy Abel turf and tractor and talking to him about what to look for in a used mower, or telling him to keep an eye out for one for you in the future.

Last edited by NEwhere1; 09-06-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 09-06-2012, 02:26 PM
macgyver_GA macgyver_GA is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Canton, GA
Posts: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEwhere1 View Post
When trying to find a shop to take mine too, I asked a driving range near me (http://www.georgiagolfcenter.com/)what they do about their reels....they said they go to this guy for service http://www.turfequipmentused.com/ I called him up, he seemed like he knew what he was talking about, better than the place I originally took it. I ended up taking it to my local Ace Hardware (Morgan's) but i'm thinking next time i'm going to Franklin (able turf and tractor). I also asked a few landscape companies who they use and they told me this guy (https://plus.google.com/109406700512...ut?gl=us&hl=en) who doesn't have a real website, I took it there and he checked it out and back lapped it. He did an okay job for cheap, but didn't strike me as very professional or up-to-date, however my reel is sharp, and makes nice contact/cuts paper etc.

It might be worth stopping buy Abel turf and tractor and talking to him about what to look for in a used mower, or telling him to keep an eye out for one for you in the future.
Oh cool, I didn't know about that place. Looks like they're down off exit 14. I'll go check his place out.

My neighbor used to be the super over at Crooked Creek in Alpharetta so he told me he knows some mechanics that do reel sharpening on the side. Nice to know that Morgan's does it too. I usually park in their parking lot when I go down to downtown Woodstock on the weekends for dinner/drinks.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.07448 seconds with 7 queries