Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2012, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Gardens View Post
I tell you what, just reading this thread and the cost to maintain a tracked SS makes me realize I never want to own one.....

My mini skid with 150.00 rollers and 400.00 set for tracks are fine with me.

Cost are minimal on most ctls w aftermarket parts. On my tl140, tracks last 1000hrs with alot of pavement use, sprockets last 2000hrs, and i think i will get at least 2000hrs out of bogies.

I can get tracks for $2200 a set, sprockets for $500 a set, and bogies are about $200 a piece.

On mini skids the tracks seem to last about 500 hrs.

Mini's are freakin awesome, but sometimes you gotta have the big boy.

And i change all my components myself. I can even get install a derailed track on a jobsite with a grease gun and a couple wrenches.

There is one youtube video that changed my life on track changes even on large ctls. I can do two tracks in an hour with a dingo helping.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
No you cannot. I personally checked w 5 dealers for him. I think the lowest was actually 12k for an entire undercarriage w shipping, that was 5% above cost. This is parts only. Other dealers wanted 16k.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm confused. I thought for sure you said you got a quote for $8k from one dealer. The part number on the mailer I got from my dealer that would fit a C series is 340404-283 with a list price of $8,495.00, the same kit for a 247/257 is part#340404-275 and the price is $5,695.00. These kits include a set of tracks, two fully assembled sprockets, and all the bogies and idlers in the entire undercarriage including all the mounting hardware. I think someone mentioned the cost of labor, but it really isn't that hard to bolt on wheels, replace tracks, etc. in a home shop. Most do some of their own work anyway.

In any case, the market has grown to a point that there is a machine out there for anyone that will fit their needs best for the type of work they do and I'm glad your buddy found a machine he's happy with.
Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No he quoted me 10,500, but then called me back and said that was dealer cost. Came close to 12k shipped which was reasonable compared to other dealers.

That mailer must have been old. I called several dealers w that part number. Have you called any dealers to confirm that price?

Well he actually liked the 287c better, but they are just stupid expensive to keep running.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
No he quoted me 10,500, but then called me back and said that was dealer cost. Came close to 12k shipped which was reasonable compared to other dealers.

That mailer must have been old. I called several dealers w that part number. Have you called any dealers to confirm that price?

Well he actually liked the 287c better, but they are just stupid expensive to keep running.
Posted via Mobile Device
My mistake. I thought you PM'd me $8k on one quote and $14k on the other. Sounds like the dealer is jacking the price up.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Went back and looked at those pms. They quoted me 8k first, then called me back and said ithat was below their cost, and gave me a price of 11k shipped. Other dealers were at 14k plus.

Cat wants 20k for the same thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Went back and looked at those pms. They quoted me 8k first, then called me back and said ithat was below their cost, and gave me a price of 11k shipped. Other dealers were at 14k plus.

Cat wants 20k for the same thing.
Posted via Mobile Device
The dealer is screwing with you. Some serious profit padding going on. On a Terex pt80 you can get the whole undercarriage (tracks, bogies, squirrel cage) for $8800. On the Terex pt30 it is $5600. All OEM parts. Most of the time you don't even need to replace everything so the cost can be much less. If you have a dealer quoting numbers in the 14-20k range make the itemize the cost for you. I guarantee you there is not that many parts in the undercarriage. The parts are expensive but nothing like that.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
The dealer is screwing with you. Some serious profit padding going on. On a Terex pt80 you can get the whole undercarriage (tracks, bogies, squirrel cage) for $8800. On the Terex pt30 it is $5600. All OEM parts. Most of the time you don't even need to replace everything so the cost can be much less. If you have a dealer quoting numbers in the 14-20k range make the itemize the cost for you. I guarantee you there is not that many parts in the undercarriage. The parts are expensive but nothing like that.
What is the dealer's number? They said they were quoting 5-10% above cost.

And have you ever bought anything from a CAT dealer? Their parts are always insane.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lets say the undercarriage cost 9k shipped. He has already spend 4k on tracks and 2k on miscellaneous bogies and squirrel cage parts at 1000 hours. That is 15k in 2000hrs. My takeuchi will probably run 4500 in two sets of tracks, 500 in sprockets, and lets say 800 in a four bogie wheels. And in reality I can probably get the local bearing supply place to fit me up with some bearings for it for $50 a bogie. That is 6k vs 15k in undercarriage costs over 2000hrs. Is an ASV 9k more productive? Not for me, I would rather have that money in the bank.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can go to trackloaderparts.com. They have all OEM parts. You can look everything up yourself or give them a call for package pricing. Good ammo to have when you go visit the dealer.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
You can go to trackloaderparts.com. They have all OEM parts. You can look everything up yourself or give them a call for package pricing. Good ammo to have when you go visit the dealer.
So where can you get that kit for $8500? The website? Which dealer quoted you $8500?