Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-23-2012, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey2002 View Post
This verbage is correct, but treemover's interpretation of it is not. It clearly states that you are in CDL territory if your Gross Combined Weight Rating (GCWR) exceeds 26,000 pounds. Therefore, a 1/2 ton pickup towing over 10K does not require a CDL because the GCWR is under 26,000. Something like an F450 might require one, depending on the truck's GCWR.

Trailer derating comes into play because a guy can tow a trailer rated at 9990 pounds with a truck having a GVWR of 24,000 and not need a CDL at all. If the trailer is rated for 10K or more than he would need a class A.
Exactly.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
This been gone over time and again, just trying to give advice not starting anything. Been in biz 15 years run pickups tandems tri s and end dumps, been fined by dot and in many classes for this. Straight truck no trailer under26 k no cdl. Any combo (truck and trailer) over 10 k cdl and dot requirements. So 1/2 ton pulling most tandem trailers you need cdl and meet all requirements
Posted via Mobile Device
This is so wrong it's stupid.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by treemover View Post
10000 combination truck and trailer is cdl
Posted via Mobile Device
Can you read?

Using your reading and comprehension skills you also need a CDL for any trailer under 10k.

Quote:
Old 08-23-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

depending on what you need it for would determine which is best for you, my friends who own a landscaping and tree service argue a dump trailer is better, due to being able to hold more weight then an f350 or f450 dump truck, and they are lower to the ground so they are easier to load by hand with wood, but you can't put a plow on a dump trailer and you can't throw a sander in a dump trailer, well maybe you can but it would look ******ed. i would say a dump truck for leaf removal if you have a leaf vac, or chipping into, and for junk removal if its light. for heavy stuff dump truck if you have a truck that can pull it safely. and i would go no smaller then 14x7 with a 14,000 gvw.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Back to the topic I have a 20' PJ dump trailer with dual 10K axles. I pull it with a 09' Ram 3500 with the 4.10 I swapped in to replace the factory 3.73's. Yes I have a class A CDL. My advice is if your going to go with either a 16', 18', or 20' dump with dual 10K's or 12K's for axles is to pay the extra big bucks for electric over hydraulic brakes. The electric brakes are really dangerous if you plan on pulling close to capacity. I spent $3800 for my upgrade.

My trailer empty is 9K and is rated for 25K but I've been over by 2-3K many times. My GCW has probably been up to 36K.

If your going to pull the trailer all the time moving up to a 4500 or 5500 would be a good idea.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

I think the trailers come in pretty handy. If you have a smaller company and have guys staying at job sites that need to put debris in a dump bed it is to drop it and leave it and have someone using the truck for something else that day, where as a dump truck, the truck is sitting there not moving, but maybe could be making money somehow if it was