Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Should I buy JOHN DEERE HD75 Hydro 48??

Hi guys! I am looking at this nice John Deere HD75 walk behind. Has 17 HP electric start Kawasaki motor. And duel hydro.

Here is the link to the CL ad.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/3123396671.html

Are these machines any good? I currently use my bobcat belt drive 16 hp for all my properties. And use my 36 snapper as a back up.. I'm looking to buy this one and sell the snapper back up which will leave me with my 36 Bobcat (for gated yards) and the John deere 48 as my main mower.
My properties range from 1/2 acre to 1 acre on average.. Sometimes I would get some pretty big yards.. I cut about 4 yard per day on Average.. sometimes up to 9... Is this machine good? Can anyone vouch for the JD HD75?

I'm concerned about the hydro pumps and wheel motor being one.. They're one piece, rather than a pump which has a hose that feeds to the wheel motor.. Are these better or what? Please give me your opinion ASAP. Need to know by tonight so i can get it tomorrow..

He told me his last price was $1,100.. Has 1000 hours on meter.. But he says its because he leaves the key in the on position.. Mower looked good when I saw it in person.. Hydros are dry and spindles are tight!!!

F150 Ext Cab Long Bed
Carry-On 5x10 Open trailer
48" John Deere HD75 Hydro w/ Floating deck & Sulky
36" Bobcat WB Fixed Deck w/ Sulky
Turfco WB Aerator
Scotts Industrial Tiller
Honda 3000 PSI Pressure Washer
Little Wonder 9HP Blower
Stihl BR 600 Magnum Blower
Stihl Br 550 Magnum Blower
Stihl Fs 130
Stihl HL 100 Hedge Trimmer
Stihl MS 170 Chain Saw
Echo SRM 250 Trimmer
Echo PE 225 Edger
Old 08-11-2012, 02:38 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseMan89 View Post
Hi guys! I am looking at this nice John Deere HD75 walk behind. Has 17 HP electric start Kawasaki motor. And duel hydro.

Here is the link to the CL ad.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/grd/3123396671.html

Are these machines any good? I currently use my bobcat belt drive 16 hp for all my properties. And use my 36 snapper as a back up.. I'm looking to buy this one and sell the snapper back up which will leave me with my 36 Bobcat (for gated yards) and the John deere 48 as my main mower.
My properties range from 1/2 acre to 1 acre on average.. Sometimes I would get some pretty big yards.. I cut about 4 yard per day on Average.. sometimes up to 9... Is this machine good? Can anyone vouch for the JD HD75?

I'm concerned about the hydro pumps and wheel motor being one.. They're one piece, rather than a pump which has a hose that feeds to the wheel motor.. Are these better or what? Please give me your opinion ASAP. Need to know by tonight so i can get it tomorrow..

He told me his last price was $1,100.. Has 1000 hours on meter.. But he says its because he leaves the key in the on position.. Mower looked good when I saw it in person.. Hydros are dry and spindles are tight!!!
My local John Deere place stopped selling JD mowers a long time ago because parts support and other issues were too much of a liability. Those stamped decks didn't impress anyone either.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 08-11-2012, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If I saw that around here I would be in the truck headed over there with cash now. JD mowers are great - just look it over carefully first. 1,000 hrs really isn't that much depending on how it was maintained, but it sounds like a fishy excuse of him "leaving the key on"....who does that??? But overall, you can't lose for $1,000.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFarland_Lawn_Care View Post
If I saw that around here I would be in the truck headed over there with cash now. JD mowers are great - just look it over carefully first. 1,000 hrs really isn't that much depending on how it was maintained, but it sounds like a fishy excuse of him "leaving the key on"....who does that??? But overall, you can't lose for $1,000.
So I picked up the machine the same morning you had posted that reply..
It's cut is AMAZING! The best I've ever seen! Even though it has dull blades!!
I picked it up around 11 a.m. and used it to cut 6 properties that day. It was my first time ever using a hydro. And all I can say is... WOW! What a freaking difference from a belt drive! Instant forward and reverse! I can pull up right into a tree or a mailbox post and have it between my caster wheels, and instantly pull out and keep mowing without having to pull the machine back manually lol.

Hydros seem to be strong.. But the belt that connects the hydro pumps to the engine seems to slip a little when going uphill (with sulky on). I guess I need to tighten that. It needs a complete tune up. Guy says he never changed hydro fluid the whole three years he had had it.. :/

And it'll need hydro fluid flushed, oil and filter on engine replaced, fuel filter, new gator blades, and grease all spindles.

The John Deere manual says the transmission is sealed and doesn't need to be serviced.. But I see two drain plugs at the bottom of it.. I guess I can change the hydro fluid that way.. It uses Synthetic 10w-30.

F150 Ext Cab Long Bed
Carry-On 5x10 Open trailer
48" John Deere HD75 Hydro w/ Floating deck & Sulky
36" Bobcat WB Fixed Deck w/ Sulky
Turfco WB Aerator
Scotts Industrial Tiller
Honda 3000 PSI Pressure Washer
Little Wonder 9HP Blower
Stihl BR 600 Magnum Blower
Stihl Br 550 Magnum Blower
Stihl Fs 130
Stihl HL 100 Hedge Trimmer