Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-13-2012, 08:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sorry Andy. Was wrong about the spreader spread adjustability. Assumed since there was no stop between 10 & 1, it didn't work. Checked today and was pleasantly surprised.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Member

How do like your Z Plug?
Old 10-01-2012, 06:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by molley View Post
How do like your Z Plug?
Anything is better than walking, you still need a walk behind for corners and some be edges, you can't get in close with beds with curvy edges. The machine is heavy which is good for pulling plugs but I tear long tire marks on any kind of incline, the machine breaks away going across anything steep. Going up hills , the machine can go up steep hills, but the tires don't have the ability to keep you going and rip into the ground. Forget anything soft the machine is a boat anchor. So it is slow to turn around. We worked side by side w another company using a lawn solutions and he was able to run circles around us due to the time it takes to turn around I was pulling better plugs though. However felt embarrassed about the slower speed. In ideal world I would own one of each if lawn solutions didn't have the chain drive probs
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Anything is better than walking, you still need a walk behind for corners and some be edges, you can't get in close with beds with curvy edges. The machine is heavy which is good for pulling plugs but I tear long tire marks on any kind of incline, the machine breaks away going across anything steep. Going up hills , the machine can go up steep hills, but the tires don't have the ability to keep you going and rip into the ground. Forget anything soft the machine is a boat anchor. So it is slow to turn around. We worked side by side w another company using a lawn solutions and he was able to run circles around us due to the time it takes to turn around I was pulling better plugs though. However felt embarrassed about the slower speed. In ideal world I would own one of each if lawn solutions didn't have the chain drive probs
Posted via Mobile Device
What chain drive problems? I have been running mine for three years no chain problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-01-2012, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by humble1 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you need more time on it. I can roll with mine, I agree some yards are more of a pain than others.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 06:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RABBITMAN11 View Post
What chain drive problems? I have been running mine for three years no chain problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
Constant adjustments, chains coming off, there a ton of posts about that.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-02-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here is my 2 cents. I considered both machines when buying one. No one in my area had either, so I went with the lawn solutions ride on. I've had it 2 or 3 years and it has about 40-50 hours on it. Probably doesn't justify the cost, but I'm solo and it doesn't work me to death and should be able to get a long life out of it. I will say that I'm not a mechanic and don't know the inner workings of an engine. If I can see something I can usually fix or put a new one on, but am not able to take apart a carberatuer or anything.

Year 1-2 - I first got the LS and it worked fantastic. I could aerate at full speed and it was a breeze. As some use got put on it I started having chain problems and really had to slow down. The chain on one side was coming off and I heard a lot of popping. I was really starting to lose power on the top end of the speed or when it was under pressure. I really couldn't get much help from the guys at LS and closest service dealer was 100's of miles away. I really cused the machine and thought about selling it and getting the LT rich one. I tried to tinker with it and found some shaft bearings were not tight, so I got them set and it still was iffy.

Year 3 - Got some help from a guy on this site(will keep him anonymous). He suggested getting my chains tight. I guess my estimate on 1/2" play in the chains per the manual were off or reall world users found it was too much. I tightened all the chains so they were snug and imagine I had stressed the chains enough so they were done stretching. As for the top end power issues, based on my description he said it was a bad belt. The belt looked fine to me and I changed it. The old belt and new belt were totally different in width and that made all the difference.

So overall i'm pleased with the machine. This past year I seeded about 23 lawns with a total of 225-250K. No problems at all. I could run the machine almost like you would with a stander mower. It worked like a charm. The only down sided is getting it serviced. I can work on it a little, but would rather take it to a dealer. Hopefully the exmark and LS version are close enough so they will be able to work on it if there is a huge problem

I did have a guy who had the new 4 wheel lt rich model. It was huge compared to mine and was the first time I had seen one in person. I love and own one of their sprayers. It appeared that it was better suited for wide open areas. With our 10-12k lawn average I think I made the right choice.

Hope this helps anyone looking to buy something similar.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i find the biggest factor for me when running the zplug is wet or dry turf,

either ask for irrigation to be off or i plan for the afternoons on the typical terrain lawns, but the flat ones are ok wet

mike did you get 4 row tine whls or 5 row?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbturf View Post
i find the biggest factor for me when running the zplug is wet or dry turf,

either ask for irrigation to be off or i plan for the afternoons on the typical terrain lawns, but the flat ones are ok wet

mike did you get 4 row tine whls or 5 row?
Hey Josh,

I will check when i get to the warehouse Wed, its the 36" wide unit they dont make the 48 anymore, today sucked with the rain, ripped up some turf pretty bad, wish it wasnt so long feel like im turning a tractor trailer truck compared to my lt intermediate,
1-Z-Spray Int
1-T-3000
1-Permagreen Mag
4-backpackmistblowers
1-Four Wheeler with 50ft air blast mist sprayer
1-F-250 4x4 supercab p/u
1-E-250 van w-enclosed trailer
1-E-150 van
2-landscape trailers
a ton of backpack sprayers
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

anything you can do to keep the tines in the ground and going forward will help. With our tow behind unit we would work like a zamboni. Ive found the zplug needs to be ran that way too. Or if you cant find that much room, make figure 8s? Gradual turning with the head down is what works for us - not running it like a mower back and forth as you loose so much time turning the thing around. Heres to only 1.6 m sq ft left for aerations!