Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2012, 05:55 PM
LawnSite Member

clumping issue

I have a 2010 Hustler Sport 42 with a 16 hp motor and about 75 hrs. The deck is level , the blades have been sharpened and appear to be straight, and the bottom of the deck has been cleaned . When I mow clumps of grass are dropped and discharged if there's the slightest amount of moisture and I have to mow the same area several times to clean up the lawn . I dont have a tach but the motor sounds like its running at full RPM's . I never had this problem the first season , what could be the problem
Old 08-17-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Member

You mentioned dropping and discharging clumps of grass. Are you side discharging or mulching?
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 08-20-2012, 02:19 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a side discharge with stock blades
Old 08-20-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Raise your cutting height and take off less is the best advice I can give. Just 1/2 inch or so can make a big difference in the amount of grass you're generating.

Basically you're cutting off more than your deck can process...slow down...it helps it distribute more evenly. You may still need to cut it more than once. I do my second cut 1/4 to 1/2 inch higher than the first at a pretty fast pace going in a different direction. Most of the clippings should disappear if you do that...works much better than cutting at the same height as the first cut. Also just letting the "hay" lay there while you cut another portion of the lawn can allow it to dry out a lot...don't do the 2 cuts right after eachother...cut it, let it sit, even if it's only 15 or 20 minutes, and then come back to it.

Certain types of blades compound the problem...I get a lot of clumping with lush grass and Gators so I run high lift blades most of the time. Also certain types of grass are worse than others. Clover and Crabgrass drive me nuts this time of year because they clump so easily when long and/or moist. And with heavy dews at night and shorter days this time of year it seems that lawns never really dry out.