Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-18-2013, 01:16 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
turbo charging a 721d graddhopper

I have an old 1994 721d with 2000 hrs. Well its starting to become to slow for every day use because of lack of power it has for hills or just grass. Soooooo sense its not worth a ton I've played around with the idea of a turbo. What do you all think? I'd like it to make 30 hp, how much psi would I need?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-18-2013, 01:44 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
I figured I'd need 7 psi of boost. Anyone know how hard that would be on the kubota? Haha
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:10 AM
ncpete ncpete is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hope Mills, NC
Posts: 280
I would encourage a full compression and leak-down test before hooking a turbo up to this machine. Probably overkill to do that, but I like overkill when I am expecting things to work for me. I believe you will need to look into improving fuel delivery, too, so this isn't just as simple as bolting on a turbo to get the best results. When I was modifying my Miata, we had some great reference materials. I know of no such thing for mowers. Good luck!
__________________
TroyBilt 21"
Ryobi 720r
Husqvarna 350bt
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:16 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpete View Post
I would encourage a full compression and leak-down test before hooking a turbo up to this machine. Probably overkill to do that, but I like overkill when I am expecting things to work for me. I believe you will need to look into improving fuel delivery, too, so this isn't just as simple as bolting on a turbo to get the best results. When I was modifying my Miata, we had some great reference materials. I know of no such thing for mowers. Good luck!
I am thinking turning up the fuel pump would be enough for the job. Its not like doubling it. Then I was thinking of mounting a car radiator on the side of the mower away from the discharge side with electric fans. I'd fix hp and cooling to boot haha. I think I'd leave guts of the muffler out to hear the low loud muffler tone plus the turbo whistle lol. Do you know if I used a car turbo, would it work? Like say out of a saab or jetta diesel?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:30 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
I just noticed my title, gezzzz.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-18-2013, 02:55 AM
ncpete ncpete is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hope Mills, NC
Posts: 280
I would think something more sized to fit a motorcycle, I don't think there would be enough exhaust gases to turn an automotive turbo - Saabs are a 2.0 liter motor, and the VW diesels are 1.9's - you would experience almost no boost, if there were any available. When I was in college- 25 years ago, a friend of mine had a FACTORY turbo on his Yamaha Seca 450 Turbo. I think that size is what you need to find. The best guidance may come from the folks I got my advice from - but I don't remember their name? Might have been as simple as Turbo-Rebuilders? It was back before the web became the ubiquitous tool it is today. Might ask the folks at turbochargerpros.com?
__________________
TroyBilt 21"
Ryobi 720r
Husqvarna 350bt
Gravely ST622
Poulan Pro PP5020AV
and other stuff I forget now!

currently shopping:
ExMark Metro 48
ExMark Commercial 30
Ford F250
Ariens edger.

the bottom list should maybe get shorter, while the top gets longer, but I know there will always be more stuff!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-18-2013, 06:32 AM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncpete View Post
I would think something more sized to fit a motorcycle, I don't think there would be enough exhaust gases to turn an automotive turbo - Saabs are a 2.0 liter motor, and the VW diesels are 1.9's - you would experience almost no boost, if there were any available. When I was in college- 25 years ago, a friend of mine had a FACTORY turbo on his Yamaha Seca 450 Turbo. I think that size is what you need to find. The best guidance may come from the folks I got my advice from - but I don't remember their name? Might have been as simple as Turbo-Rebuilders? It was back before the web became the ubiquitous tool it is today. Might ask the folks at turbochargerpros.com?
Ya I thinnk this diesel is 900cc or .9L
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Landrus2's Avatar
Landrus2 Landrus2 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big apple
Posts: 4,694
If you lots of time on your hands the adventure will (B) fun
Using a car radiator for the inter cooler
If you can find a way to keep your EGT Dow it will be sucsefull
Fabrication is going to be your biggest challenge
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-18-2013, 04:21 PM
JCLawn and more's Avatar
JCLawn and more JCLawn and more is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 5,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landrus2 View Post
If you lots of time on your hands the adventure will (B) fun
Using a car radiator for the inter cooler
If you can find a way to keep your EGT Dow it will be sucsefull
Fabrication is going to be your biggest challenge
I meant using a car radiator for my engine coolent. I have issues with keeping the engine cool as is. I could use the existing spot and fan for the intercooler haha
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-18-2013, 05:46 PM
ncpete ncpete is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Hope Mills, NC
Posts: 280
The more I think about, the more I feel a turbo sized for the Seca 450 would also be the right size for your application. When I get back to a better connection, I may research that bike further.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.

Page generated in 0.07139 seconds with 9 queries