Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2012, 04:36 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch1 View Post
Don't mess with it---get it to the dealer, pronto, let them solve Stihl's problems. Tearing into things may void your warranty, depending on the attitude of your dealer.
I'll definitly agree with that.

the only thing I do to my own equipment in general is change the oil, clean air filter, change oil filter, replace spark plug, change hydro oil, change hydro filter and greasings, oh and tire pressure and sharpen blades.

anything else and I mean anything goes into the shop. mowers, trimmers, edgers, blowers, etc.

my kombi motor had been in the shop 3 times this season and my trimmer is on its second visit. for some reason this is the year of repairs for me.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

You don't have to "tear into" it to try a fresh oil/fuel mix to see if it's noticeably spitting out less oil after a few minutes of using it. If so, it's then NOT Stihl's or a warranty problem, because it is a too much oil issue. If it was ran on too much oil mix, Stihl is not going to pay to clean up the mess.

All I'm saying, in my experience this is usually user error on oil mix and not a mechanical warranty problem, and is simple and just pocket change to test before taking it out-of-service and spending more time and money going to the dealer to drop it off and then to return again to get it.

If after testing fresh verified fuel mix and it is still pissing out oil, then it is a Stihl warranty problem.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

guess I assume every stihl product is the same around the US in that they all require the use of there oil mix to honor the warranty.

that's what I've always been told by my dealer. so if the OP is using the stihl bottles how can it be mixed wrong. you add one bottle per 2 gallons of fuel. now I don't actually measure it and I error on the side of having a little heavier on oil than fuel in the mix.

but true he could try that first but I wouldn't go taking things apart myself. let the dealer do that.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Took it to the dealer & he said it was a carburetor problem. He adjusted and I used it that same day for a trim. Same problem. Taking it back again either tomorrow or wednesday; im hoping they'll just replace it for me!

SCAG mowers
STIHL power equipment
Redmax trimmers
Chevy
Old 08-13-2012, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
guess I assume every stihl product is the same around the US in that they all require the use of there oil mix to honor the warranty. All of the manufactures don't warranty fuel related problems and using too much oil mix, even if it's too much of the required brand of oil, is a fuel related problem. It's not warrantied.

that's what I've always been told by my dealer. so if the OP is using the stihl bottles how can it be mixed wrong. you add one bottle per 2 gallons of fuel. now I don't actually measure it and I error on the side of having a little heavier on oil than fuel in the mix. You just made my point, you assume everyone adds one bottle per 2 gallons of gas, but Stihl makes 1 gal mix, 2 gal mix, 2 1/2 gal mix, 5 gal mix, & keeps going, and not everyone realizes this and just buys the wrong small bottle assuming all is normal. I've seen folks who regularly buy and mix the 1 gallon mix, accidentally buy the 2 gallon mix and I've seen guys like you buy the 2 1/2 gallon mix thinking its 2 gallon mix. The result is that muffler starts pissing oil and everyone of you believes that it's mixed 50:1, but you can't verify it because you threw the bottle away at the gas station. Again, my experience is that despite the belief that it's mixed properly, the majority of the time, the issue is resolved with trying a fresh verified mix.

but true he could try that first but I wouldn't go taking things apart myself. let the dealer do that.Please forgive me, but you're on a Mechanic and Repair sub-forum!!!!
yardguy28, please see my comments in red above.
Old 08-13-2012, 08:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBlade View Post
Took it to the dealer & he said it was a carburetor problem. He adjusted and I used it that same day for a trim. Same problem. Taking it back again either tomorrow or wednesday; im hoping they'll just replace it for me!
Again, the dealer can adjust the carb or replace with a new carb 10x, but as long as you bring it home and are running too much oil, you'll have the "same problem".

Have you completely started from scratch a completely new source of mixed fuel?

Just for this one time, go buy premixed Stihl Motomix and run it through, and use the remaining amount to winterize it this fall.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/oil...-fuel/motomix/
Old 08-13-2012, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Stihl FS70 problem?

I don't see how that could be a mechanical failure unless something (oil) was in that machine somewhere when you bought it. I could be wrong, but I'd have to agree with double checking that mix. Did the dealer mention anything about the color or condition of the plug?
Old 08-14-2012, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWDER SL,UT View Post
yardguy28, please see my comments in red above.
whatever.......

i'm gonna stick with what and how i do things as my experiences have never been bad when taking a piece of equipment into the dealer for repair.

i use the bottles that are to mix with 2 gallons of fuel. i throw the oil in first and fill up my 2 gallon gas can. and as i said i try to error on the side of higher oil if i error at all because in a 2 cycle engine it's better to have it higher on the oil side than on the fuel side (per my dealer recommendation)

also since i've had nothing but good experiences with the way i do things i'm not afraid to put down on a form what i've experienced.

take my advice or not. i don't really care. but this is what i've experienced and this is what i'm sticking to.
Old 08-17-2012, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Okay, so I took that one back and got a new one. Dumped the gas the dealer put in for me, and put some fresh mixed 93 w/ the pre-measured STIHL oil for 1 gal. & THE SAME THING IS HAPPENING! what the hell is wrong! I like STIHL & I like this trimmer a lot, but maybe I'll be going red max or echo.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2012, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Member

You're an anomaly, but I don't believe your dealer is going to eat twice.

Tags
fs70 , problem , stihl