Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2012, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How much would you charge for

How much would you charge in labor per plant to install 9,000 3 gallon shrubs in one mass planting in one large area. Plants to be all grouped together a few feet apart.

How many plants can be installed per man hour? On a slope, so no dingo auger. The tricky part is figuring man hours for plant mobilization.

What kind of auger would you recommend? Is there a super light one man auger? I have a stihl 2 cycle Auger but i think its max capacity is a 1 gallon?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:18 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
How much would you charge in labor per plant to install 9,000 3 gallon shrubs in one mass planting in one large area. Plants to be all grouped together a few feet apart.

How many plants can be installed per man hour? On a slope, so no dingo auger. The tricky part is figuring man hours for plant mobilization.

What kind of auger would you recommend? Is there a super light one man auger? I have a stihl 2 cycle Auger but i think its max capacity is a 1 gallon?
How would you move the plants to the area? Does teh planting need to be ammendended with additional soil supplements. What soil type? how far apart? what slope?
Old 08-12-2012, 12:38 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Small mini x maybe? Then what AWJ said...
Old 08-12-2012, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
How would you move the plants to the area? Does teh planting need to be ammendended with additional soil supplements. What soil type? how far apart? what slope?
Plants can be staged close to planting area. Can be moved with trailer attached to track skid or truck. No ammendments. Soil will probably be hard. 3-4' apart. hard to say on slope. enough that an dingo auger would not be effective
Old 08-12-2012, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuvecorp View Post
Small mini x maybe? Then what AWJ said...
ok what about a larger mini-x with a 12" bucket? I have a 430.

But then again I saw John Deere plant thousands of plants on a bank for a local golf course and they used some kind of one person auger.

The name of the game is slam and jam.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you could reach up the slope with your mini x then an auger on it would work .
They make a one man auger on wheels but it may be too hard to move on that slope.

Or the old fashion way. Shovel.LOL

2 good shovel guys could do 30 holes an hour. I think a team of 8 guys ( 5 digging , 2 planting, one moving plants and cleaning up) should be able to do 500 per day. If they like to work.

I personally would use the auger on the mini ex. You have them for the dingo so it should be easy to retrofit to the 430.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
If you could reach up the slope with your mini x then an auger on it would work .
They make a one man auger on wheels but it may be too hard to move on that slope.

Or the old fashion way. Shovel.LOL

2 good shovel guys could do 30 holes an hour. I think a team of 8 guys ( 5 digging , 2 planting, one moving plants and cleaning up) should be able to do 500 per day. If they like to work.

I personally would use the auger on the mini ex. You have them for the dingo so it should be easy to retrofit to the 430.
Auger on a mini is a good idea. You thing the auger would be better than a 12" bucket?
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe The bucket will make a bigger hole, probably bigger than you need so it may take longer to clean up.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I like the mini x with auger, good call. If it's hard dirt then it would nicely pulverized and not in one big chunk. It would also be easier to backfill and spread out.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

How steep a slope can a mini handle?

If i did the mini, i would prob need two of them going.

And good point on easier back filling. And w a mini i could prob dig 10-15 holes w/o moving.
Posted via Mobile Device