Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2012, 06:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Which ZTR for big guy?

I am mowing 12 acres with only 2 areas that have mild slope. Quite a few trees and flower beds. I am 6'2" and over 300# and need a generous seat. I would appreciate some pro advice on which ZTR would be best for my size and for the long run. I know I am not mowing for a living but I want the best and price is not a deal breaker. I am used to having to pay first class for a big a**.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dr Dan, you will get many different answers cuz of brand loyalties of each LCO. But people on here are very knowledgable abt their favorite brand. Some will be able to give pros &cons of different ZTRs if they have switched from one to another. But once you learn the best mower by each maker, then you can go out & check each one at local dealers. Also dealer location may determine what you go with. Exmark may be down the road while Scag dealer might be 45 minute drive. I can't give advice on ZTR as i don't own any.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Check out a scag cheetah
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your high end budget? Because the Ferris 5100Z Diesel would be a great machine for the job, but were talking 16K.
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own
Old 08-13-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddensLawnCare View Post
Check out a scag cheetah
Posted via Mobile Device
Tried one just on pavement at dealer. Could not appreciate the operator suspension cause it was smooth. Seat ok but still the control arms nearly rubbed my legs. I liked the fittings on the spindles. Hate sealed bearings.
Zero percent for 48 months or $11,500 OTD he will pay the tax free delivery. I need to try it on grass.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capemay Eagle View Post
What is your high end budget? Because the Ferris 5100Z Diesel would be a great machine for the job, but were talking 16K.
That is a lot of money. How big is the seat? Seems many are 21 inch. Relaxed, seated I need 25 between control arms. I'll check the specs.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Member

John Deere for "big boys"

From one Big guy to another (well, not anymore), I've been in business for over 20 years. I've gone through a handfull of mowers, and I can give you some advice, about seats and room for your legs.... I have tested just about every mower on the market, right down to the china made ones, and only having a John Deere for 2 weeks...... I am much happier with a Deere, than all the others I've owned or tested.. I work by myself now, but if you are going to have helpers, you should be spending more time on the mower.

I was up to 364lbs at 5'8" and I had the knick name "Fat-Boy" and "Porkchop" from a few of my mowing buddies... The Exmark that I've had, beat the devil from me on bumpy turf, and after 10 or so lawns, my back was killing me. I would have rather done anything else other than run the mower... give me a trimmer! Other things that I disliked about some mowers was the room from the sticks for my legs. I always seemed to not be comfortable and be able to relax my legs, I needed to hold them together. Now, after loosing 140lbs, I still found that some mowers just didn't seem to "fit" me.

What I found about using the John Deere 900 series is that there is a LOT of room and a comfortable seat. I mowed 20 lawns the second day, and did not feel beat-up. Even after sitting for 5hrs mowing a complex, I still felt relaxed. Another thing that I liked about the JD over my previous mowers was that I didn't get covered in dirt from the kickout from under the deck.(Mulching) I could go on about other likes and dislikes about each mower I've owned, but so far, I am very pleased with the z910a with a 54", but I would consider going with a z920a or larger if I was over 300lbs with a 54" deck.

The seat on the Deere is thick and seems to be wide witht he arm rests being narrower. My last mower, I had to remove the arm rests because my backside wouldn't fit between them comfortably...

one more thing, make sure you go with a wider tire, it will make a difference over time.. being heafty, a wider tire wouldn't hurt. Good luck
Old 08-13-2012, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I think you should look at the Gravely 400 series !!
2010 LESCO 48" Stand-On
2008 LESCO 36" Hydro WB
2008 Quick 36" Samurai Dually WB
Old 08-13-2012, 05:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxurylawnsbyJB View Post
From one Big guy to another (well, not anymore), I've been in business for over 20 years. I've gone through a handfull of mowers, and I can give you some advice, about seats and room for your legs.... I have tested just about every mower on the market, right down to the china made ones, and only having a John Deere for 2 weeks...... I am much happier with a Deere, than all the others I've owned or tested.. I work by myself now, but if you are going to have helpers, you should be spending more time on the mower.

I was up to 364lbs at 5'8" and I had the knick name "Fat-Boy" and "Porkchop" from a few of my mowing buddies... The Exmark that I've had, beat the devil from me on bumpy turf, and after 10 or so lawns, my back was killing me. I would have rather done anything else other than run the mower... give me a trimmer! Other things that I disliked about some mowers was the room from the sticks for my legs. I always seemed to not be comfortable and be able to relax my legs, I needed to hold them together. Now, after loosing 140lbs, I still found that some mowers just didn't seem to "fit" me.

What I found about using the John Deere 900 series is that there is a LOT of room and a comfortable seat. I mowed 20 lawns the second day, and did not feel beat-up. Even after sitting for 5hrs mowing a complex, I still felt relaxed. Another thing that I liked about the JD over my previous mowers was that I didn't get covered in dirt from the kickout from under the deck.(Mulching) I could go on about other likes and dislikes about each mower I've owned, but so far, I am very pleased with the z910a with a 54", but I would consider going with a z920a or larger if I was over 300lbs with a 54" deck.

The seat on the Deere is thick and seems to be wide witht he arm rests being narrower. My last mower, I had to remove the arm rests because my backside wouldn't fit between them comfortably...

one more thing, make sure you go with a wider tire, it will make a difference over time.. being heafty, a wider tire wouldn't hurt. Good luck
OP says he's mowin 12 acres & wants pro advice selecting mower that will be comfortable for him. Sounds like homeowner, not starting LCO, so he prob won't have helpers. Unless you're refering to his kids! Lol!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Member

12 acres....thats a lot of time on a mower....anybody know of a mower with a radio? LOL... I've been tempted to put a waterproof radio on my JD... Would be nice to listen to the radio with my Gray Ghosts....