Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hit my first gas line

I was hoping to get a few more installs under my belt before learning the hard way. I hand dug for a few feet around where it should have been but turns out is was about 2 inches from where I stopped. I should have just dug until I found it. I'm going to do that from now on. Get this- it was only about 10 inches deep. Isn't the rule for these two feet?

Anyway, it's that orange poly pipe and appears to be the common 1 1/8 outside diameter. Guess I'm headed to the plumbing supply in the morning to let them tell me how to fix it. Please no one rake me over the coals for posting this, I already feel like enough of a dumbarse.

PS This is for my four year old who's standing next to the computer and insists that I throw some in.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Just put some duct tape around it and bury it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't fix it. The gas company fixes it. This is why they invented insurance. This is why you call before you dig.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I'd fine you 10,000 for digging without calling underground services!
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

agree with grandview, never trust where anything is below ground, get mark outs, I mean, I don't understand why people don't call, it releases you of any liability. for free better yet, call 811 very simple to do, now do you have any idea how much it will cost you to repair that line, if its the poly, I don't think you can just re splice it, I maybe wrong, but my fathers a plumber and he tells me all the time don't hit the poly pipe cause you'll be out a grand easy. Next call,
Old 08-12-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It sucks and it won't be the last time. My guys have cut the gas line with the shovel before just trying to find it.

Just make sure the get a dig ticket from now on and make sure the line you hit is repaired by a professional. Way too much liability at this point to have it leak down the road.

It does piss me off to find main lines to the house at times 4"-6"s deep when codes is making us plumb the backflow 24" from the tap to the device. Good thing most are poly lines now.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Member

My dad is in the underground utility business and the one thing I learned is to never assume anything. The last job I was on had a 30in water main mismarked by 5ft, an unmarked gas line and two unmarked 6" water lines.

Heres a few suggestions:
Always call miss utility before any digging. When utilities are marked in your work area, dig test holes to make sure you know exactly where the lines are(usually you only need to do this for gas lines, and cable tv/fios lines) for landscaping installs. Buy a soil probe to help locate a utility when digging.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to the club. I have the personal cell number for the gas rep. He gets a 1/2 of Bean everytime I need a favor.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2012, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

What genuinely sucks is when you do call for a locate, and learn the locating wire for the plastic gas line is nowhere, on account of the gas line was extended for an addition, but the wire wasn't extended with it.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

If it makes you fell better the main gas line for my street is only 6 inches deep across most of my front lawn.