The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: Exmark or Scag?
Exmark 72 55.81%
Scag 57 44.19%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-13-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Is Exmark really the best? or was it the best?

Im looking into purchasing a zero turn in the upcoming year and for the longest time I've had my heart set on an Exmark. But lately I've been asking around getting peoples opinions on the new generation of Exmark. The feedback hasn't been good most people say that the cut will look good when you leave but when you go back an hour later you find out that the grass wasn't completely cut and pops back up the same people say they want there old Exmarks back. So this has really got me thinking about considering scag and i'm looking for opinions on witch will give me the better cut and less chance of having to double cut and me being in eastern PA we have mainly Kentucky Blue Grass. Any response is appreciated!
Old 09-13-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I love my exmark, I've operated the scabs and they sure are nice too! It's kind of a toss up, for me it's all about dealer support! Good thing is my dealer sells both. They both will cut nice it's really all about how good the dealer is. I did prefer the exmark over the turf tigers ive operated. But that's only 1 model

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 09-13-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Member

That to is a huge thing for me the owner of the Scag dealer 2 minutes down the road is my neighbor 2 doors down and the closest Exmark dealer is 20-25 minutes away.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Go with the Scag. We just added a Scag Z with the Velocity deck to our fleet in January, love it- great cutting and durable machine. We've always had Hustlers bc thats what my brother loves, but I put the Scags at the top of the top.

One a side note, I've operated 2 Lazer Z's over the years (52 inch newer model UltraCut deck and an older 50 inch Triton deck) I did like the older- early 2000s year with the Triton deck but not the newer one. Also, the Exmark mowers across the board are SLOW I mean a lot slower than a Scag or Hustler.
Scag Pro-V 48
Gravely Pro-Walk FLH 36
Exmark Metro 26
Exmark X series 21
Stihl and Redmax Handhelds
Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 09-13-2012, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Depends on conditions and dealer for me. On ZTRs scags are faster hands down and can handle a wider variety of conditions. In a perfect weed free dry lawn Exmark will leave the best cut period. If I were you I would go with scag. I have been running Exmark for years but will be getting scags or ferris mowers to replace them.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have used Exmarks all my life but hands down Scags are better in wet grass and there is minimal scraping of the deck. My second mower will be a scag next year or two.

"Money & Power leads to Greed and usually ends with Corruption."

" I don't blame our industry to be looked down at because most of the people either couldn't keep a stable job or were criminals."

" A LEADER will always have more haters than a FOLLOWER."
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I agree with you about exmarks. I had the older style lazer z and planned to get a new one this past year. Untill I demoed the new x series. The quality of cut was poor and it was priced higher than the others. I ended up with a JD 925 and its a great mower. The scag is also a nice machine with a good cut. I recomend demoing them first. Use them for at least a few days each on your properties
Old 09-14-2012, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

i've always used exmark until i bought a 61in bobcat procat in june. i love it so far. cuts great and doesn't bog down. i went with the 26 hp kawi to save some money of fuel and i don't regret it. also it's about 2 grand less than exmark or scag. i would suggest demoing all the main brands (exmark, scag, bobcat, snapper pro) to see your preference.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'll agree with the others, the old Exmarks were superior to the newer ones. It's barely enough to notice, but once you do, then it stands out.

Never ran a Scag, so I won't comment.
Old 09-14-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

About 4-6 years ago, the majority of LCO in my area were using Exmark. Recently, I have seen more people using everything but Exmark. Many Scags, Bobcats, and Grasshoppers