Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-13-2012, 10:07 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Chemical lawn for aerating?

Hey everyone, went though this the last time I wanted to aerating the yard and ended up with a service I didn't want advertised as aerating

I called every lawn service in the phone book and no one aerated or some excuse so I was left with two or three places, one didn't show for even giving an estimate, another came and would be November and the last place I went with advertised as aerating but it was IMO more like compacting, pushed holes in the ground and vibrated the ground to loosen the soil.

I had TrueGreen do it one time when I first had them doing the yard, only thing I think they did do a decent job at was aerating so would it be safe going with them again?

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-13-2012, 06:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, how's Bowling Green? I grew up down in Franklin, KY so kind of my home area. Not the same as it was when I moved out though. Anyway, I don't have any opinion on TruGreen but I was going to recommend a lawn company that I know in your area but I just messaged him and he said they don't even own an aerator.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachysLawn View Post
Hey, how's Bowling Green? I grew up down in Franklin, KY so kind of my home area. Not the same as it was when I moved out though. Anyway, I don't have any opinion on TruGreen but I was going to recommend a lawn company that I know in your area but I just messaged him and he said they don't even own an aerator.
Been hot here but seems like the heat has broke so getting ready for fall renovation. Had a classmate that was from Franklin but that was a while ago.

Anyhow, that's what I found 3 years ago last time I wanted to get the aerating done, seemed like no one did it but this time around two calls in the phone book and I found someone and wasn't truegreen

Guy seemed like he knew what he was doing, nice, friendly and from what I could tell just from speaking with him on the phone willing to go the extra mile so I meet with him tomorrow about 3 PM.

Even wants to take soil samples

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 08-24-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

We’ll, had to dig out the telephone book and start calling around again for someone to do the aerating this fall. I got fat up with the guy I posted above I found; he’s a big talker on the phone but when it comes to showing up; 3 missed appointments and he said he took samples from the front yard which I’d like to know how he did that and me not seeing him and us home?

Besides, I only need aerating why he wanted samples is beyond me?

Then he comes back saying the samples came back with a low pH and needed lime I said you got samples from someone else’s yard then. He was supposed to be here again yesterday evening and when it was time to be here he called, by the time I got to the phone his cell cut out and lost the call which was another thing that kept happening when I did talk to him so I didn’t bother calling back; I knew why he was calling.

Got another company coming this afternoon.

And I loved this, I called Scotts and they wouldn’t even do it because I was not taking all their services and said they reserved the services for their customers? WOW!!!!

Then God created Women
Old 08-24-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

what are people charging in BG for aerifying and seeding
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you tried renting an aerator from a local tool rental place?
Old 08-24-2012, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
what are people charging in BG for aerifying and seeding
Hell, if I could get someone out here to give me an estimate I could tell you.

3 places out of about 10 that I called today did core aerating and one was supposed to be here this afternoon and never showed. Other guy sometime next week and the third was going to call back when he was able to see when he could shedule it.

But this is not unusual, I found anything you try to get done in Bowling Green is a hassle and better off going to Nashville to look for service.

OH and Scotts, they do it also but reserve that service for their customers only

Then God created Women
Old 08-24-2012, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillie View Post
Have you tried renting an aerator from a local tool rental place?
Looks like I'm going to have to resort to that, problem is I have no way to get it to the house

Then God created Women
Old 08-25-2012, 12:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reason I ask. I thought about expanding to BG next yr. I grad from Western and my best friend and sister still live in BG and they tell me the same thing you've been saying so I thought that if all of the company's are that busy there must be work. Only thing is I see Scott's and Tru-Green in my area so something doesn't add up
Old 08-25-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
Reason I ask. I thought about expanding to BG next yr. I grad from Western and my best friend and sister still live in BG and they tell me the same thing you've been saying so I thought that if all of the company's are that busy there must be work. Only thing is I see Scott's and Tru-Green in my area so something doesn't add up
We'll, I don't go to town without seeing at least 5 lawn service trucks. However at the same time, there's maybe 15 to 20 lawn services in the phone book which in my opinion is not many because the same ones are listed as landscapers, nurseries and lawn services (Fert & squart) also.

Then God created Women