Register free!

Old 11-01-2013, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Wild garlic already!!

Got my 1st round of pre at 1 qt simazine down before oct 15. I'm already seeing some wild garlic in some lawns. Will follow up with some atrazine in December.

Hoping this garlic germinated before app got watered in. Fingers crossed. What's everyone else seeing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-01-2013, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't think garlic is affected by simazine or atrazine unless there's something I don't know. Wish it were that would be too easy. My garlic starts showing up in late Sept if we have decent rain. Although it is not difficult to control chemical wise the fact that my grasses are going dormant and the SU chems I use on it don't work that great at lower temps. I've asked for solutions on this before but never really got a great solution. Would love to hear new suggestions.
Old 11-01-2013, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

3=way herbicides are labeled for control of onions. I've found that even with sticker, they only temporarily curl the onions. Metsulfuron also is labeled for onions and of course, it requires a sticker to work properly but is still slow in cooler temps.
Using them together has given me excellent control(complete eradication in most cases) of onions.

ArTurf, whenever you're ready to come see how to spray a lawn with a hose/gun, come see me. I'm ready for you. PM me and we will arrange a place and time to meet. We're about half done with our Fall Pre's.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 11-01-2013, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Member

My garlic started showing up about 2 weeks ago. We put out the fall pre which "curls" the garlic, then we go back with the MSM/3-Way combo in a backpack and spot it. We are also about half finished with the fall pre. Gonna contract some help a couple of days this week though to try and get alot done this week. Got a little over 3 mil to go.

Ted, what city are you in. I'm gonna send my guy to you and let you show him how its done.
Old 11-01-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i found if I spray onion with trimec then take my shoe and smash the onion into the ground and again spray i get 100% kill
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad004 View Post
My garlic started showing up about 2 weeks ago. We put out the fall pre which "curls" the garlic, then we go back with the MSM/3-Way combo in a backpack and spot it. We are also about half finished with the fall pre. Gonna contract some help a couple of days this week though to try and get alot done this week. Got a little over 3 mil to go.

Ted, what city are you in. I'm gonna send my guy to you and let you show him how its done.
Send him on down. I'm always looking for new talent to take away from...hehem...I mean I always enjoy showing new guys coming up what I know! lol

ArTurf doesn't know it yet, but he's gonna be my hose puller for the day and he also has to buy me lunch. lol
I'm in the Conway area.

Scuffing onions before spraying does indeed help by removing the waxy film allowing much quicker entry of the herbicide into the plant and is fine for a few scattered clumps but when you have many scattered "wispy" plants or even worse, a "sea" of onions, you need real knockdown power. A combination of 3-way, Metsulfuron and MSO will do it every time...no matter what situation you're dealing with...without having to scuff the plant.

"Opportunity is missed by most because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"- Thomas Edison, businessman/inventor
Old 11-01-2013, 11:32 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Send him on down. I'm always looking for new talent to take away from...hehem...I mean I always enjoy showing new guys coming up what I know! lol

ArTurf doesn't know it yet, but he's gonna be my hose puller for the day and he also has to buy me lunch. lol
I'm in the Conway area.
Heck, what do you pay? I may sell all of my stuff and just come work for you. Looking into moving out of BlytheVegas anyway. May relocate to the Cabot area.

If nothing else, let me know when ArTurf is coming, he can buy my lunch too. I'll drive 3 hrs for a free lunch anyday!!
Old 11-01-2013, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad004 View Post
Heck, what do you pay? I may sell all of my stuff and just come work for you. Looking into moving out of BlytheVegas anyway. May relocate to the Cabot area.

If nothing else, let me know when ArTurf is coming, he can buy my lunch too. I'll drive 3 hrs for a free lunch anyday!!
LMAO

Heber Springs Dude! That's the place. New Oil/Gas money and Lake Houses on Greers Ferry. Trout Fishing on the Little Red and all the water sports you can stand on Greers Ferry. That's where I'd be if I wasn't here. Its starting to boom!

Last edited by ted putnam; 11-01-2013 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
LMAO

Heber Springs Dude! That's the place. New Oil/Gas money and Lake Houses on Greers Ferry. Trout Fishing on the Little Red and all the water sports you can stand on Greers Ferry. That's where I'd be if I wasn't here. Its starting to boom!
I'd never get anything done living there though. I love the lake and Trout fishing too much. 2 real estate agents in the cabot area told me that no one in Cabot does any spraying or fertilizing that they know of. LOL Last Saturday, I counted 8 different companies' flags.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:29 AM
LawnSite Member

Wild garlic already!!

I'm in the middle of you guys. Just south of Jonesboro. I went to Cabot yesterday to pick up a fourwheeler.