Register free!

Old 08-14-2012, 12:58 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah, i'm not gonna go over 100 gallons in this truck. by the time i have need for a bigger tank there would be plans for a bigger truck. i already drive like an old man (according to the wife) so i should be fine then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I have a 325 gallon in a C1500 extra cab with the 6.5 ft bed. No way I can fill it over 225 and feel safe driving it. I have never been happy with the brakes on any GMC truck. Compared to my Isuzu Cab over that stops on a dime, my 1500 brakes suck.

Point here is 100 gallon should be very little sweat, just drive careful. A 200 gallon Tank drive like a 90 yr old man and watch your braking distances.

GVW of a truck has more to do with the BRAKING POWER than springs or suspension.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Have a new model dodge ram 1500 single cab, extended bed. I have a brand new lesco space saver 200 gallon tank. Yeah if it's full it's not the most fun to drive but it works absolutely fine. Only when I have the aerator in it does it look squatted down. 100 gallons should be fine. I used to work for a company that used a single cab, single bed ram 1500 with a 200 gallon in it and while it was not ideal it got the job done for 7 years without issue.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:28 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Bigger truck means bigger brakes. have one of those overloaded trucks push you through a interesection or not let you stop in time for that kid who ran into the street. Then see who is at fault. you can make most trucks not squat but stoppign is always the issue. DOT won't care that your truck didn't squat when you hit that person or casused a accident. They will only worry about your ability to brake. Sorry, but this is the reall issue with overloaded trucks and it happens all the time. Do your self a favor and buy a 3/4 ton pickup or larger.

2013 haulmark 18' trailer
2013 John Deere 52' walkbehind
2012 Gator with skid sprayer
2010 Turfco T-3000
2008 JD 997
2006 JD 647a
2004 JD 757 w/ 3 bag & Iron MCS
2002 JD 757 w/ 2 bag MCS
2002 JD 757
Stihl, Echo, Tanka 2 strokes
Big Tex trailers
Tons of other equipment
Old 08-15-2012, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLCS View Post
Bigger truck means bigger brakes. have one of those overloaded trucks push you through a interesection or not let you stop in time for that kid who ran into the street. Then see who is at fault. you can make most trucks not squat but stoppign is always the issue. DOT won't care that your truck didn't squat when you hit that person or casused a accident. They will only worry about your ability to brake. Sorry, but this is the reall issue with overloaded trucks and it happens all the time. Do your self a favor and buy a 3/4 ton pickup or larger.
It's 800 pounds of water...less weight than if he was pulling a trailer.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

There is always the opposition to put your Skid Sprayer on a trailer. Trucks can haul more weight than the can carry. Add in electric brakes and you can haul some big tanks. The down side is trailer are a little hassle to park. They aren't real easy to turn round or back up etc. But the bottom line is they can be pulled by Mom's Soccer Van if need be.

I have a back up skid sprayers on a trailer. There are 2 small 50 gallon unit that I mix special applications in so I don't have to use my truck mounted sprayer. I might use that trailer twice a week or twice a year, but I don't having to double clean every thing, is a real time savings.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Half tons are light duty trucks with small brakes, less springs, light duty rear & front ends! Overloading every day will cost you more in the long run, you will break springs and shockmounts, burn up bearings and brakes and piss off the dot!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn king View Post
Half tons are light duty trucks with small brakes, less springs, light duty rear & front ends! Overloading every day will cost you more in the long run, you will break springs and shockmounts, burn up bearings and brakes and piss off the dot!
Hmm...140k on my Tacoma...original rotors, never been turned and are not warped. Original clutch...I do have heavy duty coils and add a leaf in rear. Original inner and out tie rods and upper/lower ball joints.

800 pounds in the back of a 150 is nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-16-2012, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

if 1900 lbs is the max load capacity in the bed of my chevy 1500, (according to google search, probally should find my manual...) but if so.. 800 lbs, shouldn't be much.. if thats overloading, guess i'm gonna have to tell my mother in law she can't ride in the back of the truck to church anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
Hmm...140k on my Tacoma...original rotors, never been turned and are not warped. Original clutch...I do have heavy duty coils and add a leaf in rear. Original inner and out tie rods and upper/lower ball joints.

800 pounds in the back of a 150 is nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-17-2012, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

Where is the 800 lbs coming from? That's less than 100 gallons of water by itself. You have to add in the tank, pump, motor, hose, bags of fert, spreader, and yourself.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:31 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBNC View Post
Where is the 800 lbs coming from? That's less than 100 gallons of water by itself. You have to add in the tank, pump, motor, hose, bags of fert, spreader, and yourself.
Add another 250 for skid and add the decreasing weight of fertilizer...

Two 50 skids with motors, fert, and sometimes pulling a trailer...could stop on a dime in my Tacoma...the added weight in the rear of an otherwise empty truck helped braking.

If a Tacoma can do it I know a full size truck can...unless Ford and Chevy make trucks wimpier than a compact single cab Tacoma.

People pull 3000-4000 pounds of trailer and mower everyday with F150's with no trailer brakes...if it can't handle 1000-1200 pounds of skid and fert in the bed, the truck aint worth having and Ford should consider another line of business. A 100 gallon skid in an F250 or larger is a waste of truck...he aint haulin a skid steer.

You people go overboard...for all you folks that haul mowers with an F250...you should get an Isuzu NPR like me...bigger brakes, heavier springs and a big ole diesel engine. Talk about a truck that couldn't stop in an emergency!
Posted via Mobile Device