Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2012, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hubby hit one with the tractor, 9 stings.They release a pheromone and they will chase you. He used a wasp killer after dark from Lowes and then sprayed again the next morning. The nest was huge.

Just wanted to add keep Benadryl in your truck for any swelling and if you can ice quickly it helps.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expfcwintergreen View Post
I will probably try the Sevin Dust first as the less nuclear of the solutions and hold the gasoline in reserve if the Sevin Dust isn't quick enough. I assume as long as I do it at night that I won't get stung sprinkling Sevin Dust around and in the entrance to the nest; I plan to do it around 4 am Sunday morning when I get up.

LarryinAlabama: What is the name of the spray you use?

Thank you to everyone for your help.
When you use the dust, do not carry a flashlight on your person, put it 10-15 ft. away, the flashlight give's yellowjacket's a target. Put a long stick or something pointing toward's the hole the day before. Doing this when there is no moon shining help's. Dress for the task. I am doing this Friday morning at 5:00 am, you are not alone.
Old 08-18-2012, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Get yourself some Delta dust and a Bellow duster.
Fill the duster with the Delta dust shake the duster and spray the dust into the hole the bees are using,preferably at night. The dust is so fine it looks like smoke. When spayed into the bees nest hole it is so fine it infiltrates very deep into the hole. It may take a couple applications but your bee problem will be gone. the pros use this stuff.
I keep a Bellow duster filled with Delta dust handy all the time.

http://www.epestsolutions.com/delta-...cide-dust.html
Stihl BG85
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Member

I got up at 2 am and put on heavy jeans, heavy winter socks, ankle high lace up boots and a short sleeve shirt to apply the Sevin Dust to the nest. I used a couple of shoe laces to tie my pants cuffs close to my legs and tightened my belt to keep the yellow jackets out of my pants. I wanted to keep them out of my shirt, too but couldn't figure out how. I intentionally left my arms exposed because I didn't have anything to cover my head and hoped they would go for my arms rather than my head if I did stir them up. I held a red camera filter over a double a MagLight for light. It turned out these half-assed precautions were for nothing because no yellow jackets left the nest. I poured maybe a quart of gasoline down the hole and scattered two bags of Sevin Dust in and around it.

Strangely, yesterday afternoon before I applied the gas and dust, I watched the nest from a distance for several minutes and didn't see any activity. When I watched it last weekend, it was very active. I checked it this morning several hours after the application and again saw no activity.

Thanks for the suggestions about using gas, Sevin Dust, keeping the light away from the nest, keeping Benadryl handy, and the two other kinds of dust and the bellows duster which I will look in to for the future.

I still have two bags of Sevin Dust left and plan to give the nest another application later today in the daylight so I can see if it looks safe. I may drive my car over the nest with the windows closed and gun the engine to see if any yellow jackets come out before approaching it in the daylight.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They usually don't come out at night but once in a while something may set them off, your better off dressed for the worst and not getting stung. Don't mess with that nest in the daylight for 2-3 day's. Those yellowjackets are dying as we speak but they are not all dead yet, and the one's that are still alive are pissed, so stay away for a couple of day's, have faith, sevin work's.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrostis View Post
They usually don't come out at night but once in a while something may set them off, your better off dressed for the worst and not getting stung. Don't mess with that nest in the daylight for 2-3 day's. Those yellowjackets are dying as we speak but they are not all dead yet, and the one's that are still alive are pissed, so stay away for a couple of day's, have faith, sevin work's.
============

Good thoughts; I will leave it alone for several days. It isn't raining much, and the grass isn't growing much, so there really is no hurry.
---------------------
I think next time this comes up I may add a hoodie, a goalie's mask, and duct tape everything together so there will be no place for the yellow jackets to get in, including wide, clear tape across the eyes of the mask. I will be doing it in the dark so hopefully my neighbors won't think Jason is loose in the neighborhood.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Have heard that once the queen is dead the rest of them become more docile. Does anyone know whether or not this statement is true?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by expfcwintergreen View Post
I poured maybe a quart of gasoline down the hole and scattered two bags of Sevin Dust in and around it.
Holy crap! You only need a few tablespoons of 5% Sevin dust. That's it.
And certainly do NOT do the Sevin with gas.

Gas will probably kill the nest (if it reaches to the ends of the nest), but will also sterilize the soil (forget about grass growing in that spot for a year or so).

Sevin just needs to be dusted at the entrance. The next day, the workers will bring the dust inside the nest, and it will be over pretty quickly.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I just used a can of flying insect spray friday to get rid of a nest in a 30 gallon pot that had a Jap maple. It was cool to see the nest the next day when removing the pot. BTW I did get stung when removing the pot. First sting of the year to the ankle. 4 layers of a honey comb like nest with lots of larve and imature insects. I actually helped a few out of their holes watched, then took joy in hosing them down.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I just spray the nest with a wasp/bee spray, I find the spray that foams is better because it covers the nest in foam. We just spray the nest as soon as we see it. No need to wait till night time to spray it.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here