Register free!

Old 08-13-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Centipede seeding question.

We recently had someone ride through and vandalize our biggest commercial property. Roundup was sprayed on the roadsides all over the property and in front of all of the entrances. It is a large housing development. We painted to try and hide all the brown and since the HOA is too cheap to sod we are gonna seed it out of our own pocket. Temps here in Myrtle Beach are in the low 90's for the high and we get a lot of t-storms in the evenings this time of year. What rate would you guys recommend using for the seed and should I go ahead and put it out now or wait a few weeks until the temps drop a little? Also, with the heavy rains we get two or three times a week we pretty much keep the irrigation off. Will the rain be too much water or should we set the irrigation to keep the seed wet during the day as well? Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Good to see you on here.. I see you around town every now and then. I like the setup you have.

I personally would put down some ironite 2 days before, let it soak in then put down the seed at 1/2 to 1 lb per 1,000 sq feet. I know that centipede seed is very expensive and usually runs $150 after tax for a 5lb bag. Also personally I would wait until April or May to put it down.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jequigle View Post
Good to see you on here.. I see you around town every now and then. I like the setup you have.

I personally would put down some ironite 2 days before, let it soak in then put down the seed at 1/2 to 1 lb per 1,000 sq feet. I know that centipede seed is very expensive and usually runs $150 after tax for a 5lb bag. Also personally I would wait until April or May to put it down.
Thanks. If you're ever in the Carolina Forest area swing through the Farm and check out the damage this guy caused. He also hit a couple other neighborhoods in the area.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-15-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Actually drove by yesterday and without knowing what subdivision it was I could pick it out. They did some damage. Did you walk off the area to see how many sq ft it is? With the price of seed being so expensive you can get a pallet of centipede sod for $70 if you only need one pallet as its hard to find 1lb bag of centipede seed at $35 a lb.
Posted via Mobile Device