Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-26-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Poor Maintenance On Echo 261T Trimmer

This is what happens when you don't have any scheduled maintenance. The crew just run it until it dropped. I just found this in one of the trailers. This unit was last checked in 10/2009. At that time it had ports cleaned plug new shoes filters. Keep in mind this unit was over 5 years old in 2009. So it ran two more years.

Name:  019.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  67.0 KB

Yes all that gloupy stuff is oil/clutch debris all mixed together. I don't know
how the oil got into the clutch area because the crank seal behind the flywheel was dry.

Name:  020.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  62.0 KB

And you can see that the shoes are down to bare metal.

Name:  021.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  31.8 KB

So the unit wouldn't start.....Put new crank seal behind recoil, had to put
a replacement coil, put carb thru ultacleaner, new plug, and had to remove and clean oil out of the on/off switch it was shorting. The unit cranked up and runs fine. And new clutch shoes. I am planning to pull the head off to check condition of the piston rings and bearing.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This may be my first unit that I couldn't get going. Replaced coil(warranty just under 10 years), new off/on switch it was full of oil, new seal on recoil side. The unit started a couple times and stopped. I pulled the head and cleaned all the transfer ports and muffler side port. They weren't bad. Put it back together nothing. Cleaned carb and put in kit. There is a hunk of the skirts on piston that got knocked off and was apparently ground up inside the engine. That may be my problem. I will put a used piston in to see.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

If you got seven years out of this machine forget the poor maintenance.
My trimmers with top maintenance don't last more than two seasons
Old 12-30-2012, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

yeah, def who cares. dont put money into it, not worth it esp for that much use.

we get about 4-5 years with little to no major maint. we occasionally replace clutches, but rarely.
Old 12-30-2012, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

This unit is almost 10 years old......I am going to get it running one way or another and for less than $20, not counting labor. It helps me understand how to fix stuff quick on new machines.
I put another piston on it since the one on the unit had a little chunck out of the skirt. As expected that changed nothing. I did verify my carb is working by putting it on another machine. I did a compression test and it was 90. I tested another 261T with about same age and it tested 90 and starts and runs fine.

I guess I should bump this up to the stump the mechanic I think I now know what the problem may be and I missed the biggest clue that is shown in those first pictures. Anybody have an idea?
Old 12-30-2012, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Ed are you sure you still have good spark.Check the ground wire heck disconnect it off the coil and see if she lights off.Prob something simple good luck.

Also wanted to give you props on all your echo threads and pics much appreciated.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
This unit is almost 10 years old......I am going to get it running one way or another and for less than $20, not counting labor. It helps me understand how to fix stuff quick on new machines.
I put another piston on it since the one on the unit had a little chunck out of the skirt. As expected that changed nothing. I did verify my carb is working by putting it on another machine. I did a compression test and it was 90. I tested another 261T with about same age and it tested 90 and starts and runs fine.

I guess I should bump this up to the stump the mechanic I think I now know what the problem may be and I missed the biggest clue that is shown in those first pictures. Anybody have an idea?
From the looks of things, you should have replaced the seal behind the flywheel. All that grit, you might wanna take a close look at the shaft/ seal
contact area.

Do you not have a vac./pressure tester?

......AMF!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish View Post
From the looks of things, you should have replaced the seal behind the flywheel. All that grit, you might wanna take a close look at the shaft/ seal
contact area.

Do you not have a vac./pressure tester?
I thought sure that the seal behind the flywheel was out but it was clean
and dry as could be. There was a little leakage on the other end of the crank behind the recoil but no gue like in the picture. I put a new seal behind the recoil. Yes I got a pressure tester rig that will be used next. So both crank seals are good and I verified that the cyclinder gasket was good when I pulled the cyclinder off twice.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do I see a pinched/possibly broken ign wire?
Old 12-31-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44DCNF View Post
Do I see a pinched/possibly broken ign wire?
As long as that wire is not grounding out, even if you take it off from the coil, if the coil is good, it wouldn't stop it from giving spark.

One wire comes from the tab on the coil to the switch, the second wire come from the switch to a ground on the coil. When you turn the switch off, it grounds the coil.

I have had a wire (the one coming from the coil) where the covering was worn, and rubbed against the housing causing the coil to ground out.

The primary function of an Engineer is to make it difficult for the Fabricator and impossible for the Mechanic

RTFM What a concept