Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2012, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Need Help and advice!!!!,

I do sealcoating, striping, repairs and was just offered a paving job. My customer wants to expand his parking lot and asked me if I could do it. I do not own a paver but would buy one and hire someone to run it with me. This is a chance for me to expand and I don't want to pass it up.
What do I need to do this job. Area is currently just grass. What hang ups am I going to run into? Permits needed? I know the easy answer is sub it out but I would rather learn and expand if job pays for paver I'd be happy. Thank you I can email pics if you leave email address.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

While I'm not a paver, I have probably owned too many machines in my 20 years of being an equipment operator and business owner before I had the work to support them. I'm one of those guys who likes to do a 100 different things and unfortunately, I run out of money before ideas.

I would tell you that I used to get all excited about my next type of service when someone wanted me to do a single project and I could see how that service could be grown. What I did a few times was jump the gun and go buy a machine only to have it sit after the job was completed. Either I didn't find more work for that machine or attachment or I decided I didn't like that new service. Either way I pulled the trigger before I should have and caused myself a world of hurt.

That's just my personal experience. If it is something you really want to do, then study and learn everything you can about it and then pull the trigger when you know you can support it but if you are asking if you should get a paver with no experience and only one job lined up and winter around the corner, I'd tell you to wait until you are sure and know about permits, bidding paving, etc. Good luck either way!

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid."

Twitter @Cedar_Clearing
Old 08-14-2012, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21eagle View Post
I do sealcoating, striping, repairs and was just offered a paving job. My customer wants to expand his parking lot and asked me if I could do it. I do not own a paver but would buy one and hire someone to run it with me. This is a chance for me to expand and I don't want to pass it up.
What do I need to do this job. Area is currently just grass. What hang ups am I going to run into? Permits needed? I know the easy answer is sub it out but I would rather learn and expand if job pays for paver I'd be happy. Thank you I can email pics if you leave email address.
Where in NY are you locate?
Old 08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Paving is not as easy as it looks. Unless your customer has a really big parking lot worth $100,000's doesn't sound like a good plan to me.

If the parking lot is that big, like a few acre's than it will go out to bid anyways. You need a lot more than a used paver.

Better to start doing driveways working for someone so you know something, material is expensive and should not be wasted learning how.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Like said above its not as easy as it looks. I ran a paver a couple times and have a decent amount of seat time rolling asphalt. It doesnt take much time for things to go wrong quick while your paving. Its fast paced work and you gotta know what is going on.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm actually in GA now have to update that. The area he wants to add is 75x35. I may just sub it out.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

maybe you could do the prep work with rental machines and just sub out the actual paving part.
Root Grapple
Box Blade
12" & 24" backhoe buckets
TT300E
Dingo TX425
GRI
Old 08-17-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

sub it. I tried doing it myself and it sucks, broke even.

I subbed the next one and made 2k with a hand shake