Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-12-2003, 06:36 PM

Welding

Hey guys. I want to weld. It sounds like fun and I really want to learn. Do you guys have any helpful sites I can look at?

Thanks.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

you can find some stuff out on http://lincolnelectric.com also there is a Haynes manual called learning to weld (I think thats the name.) look at amazon.com or barnes and noble. Its great for beginners.
1-Case 1845C
Old 01-14-2003, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I leave the welding to the pros.
I got a good friend that welds for a living. He takes care of my welding needs.

PS. I just don't like to do the stuff. My whole family are welders from way back. My grandfather was one of the best in the business. He past away many years ago.... Where his shop and home place were. Now stands a Discount cigarette store and a Flower shop. Boy how times have changed....

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 01-14-2003, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think that welding manual from Haynes is just called the " welding manual " I saw it at barnes and nobles the other day... There is also one called performacne welding but that s not the basics and starting , but has some cool stuff anyway.. You can also take a class , Lincoln offers them but they are in ohio and really expensive.. Local trade schools should have them , look around on the net too... I belong to a local assoccaition that has a class for it's members from time to time...
Old 01-15-2003, 01:43 AM
LawnSite Member

welding hinges on trailer

I would like to know if someone out there knows what is the best way to attach a hinge for a tailgate on the trailer. I am trying to use heavy hinges to attach but not working. I need some input on this project.
Thanks
Old 01-15-2003, 10:18 AM
LawnSite Member

What I do on my trailers is get some tubing size depends on how heavy you want it (something lixe 1" inside diameter with a 3/16" wall maybe a little lighter wall) Cut the tubing into 4 equall sections length will depend on width of trailer and attach 2 pieces to the tailgate and 2 pieces to the trailer so they are alternating one on the trailer one on the tailgate_-_- then when you hold the tailgate upto the trailer slide 1 steel rod in from each side obviously the rod will have to be smaller diameter than the tubing. Drill holes in the end of the rod and put in some pins to keep it from sliding out. It's kind of hard to explain, maybe you can picture what I'm getting at. If I had a picture I would post it.
hope this helps
1-Case 1845C
Old 01-20-2003, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jkkalbers
What I do on my trailers is get some tubing size depends on how heavy you want it (something lixe 1" inside diameter with a 3/16" wall maybe a little lighter wall) Cut the tubing into 4 equall sections length will depend on width of trailer and attach 2 pieces to the tailgate and 2 pieces to the trailer so they are alternating one on the trailer one on the tailgate_-_- then when you hold the tailgate upto the trailer slide 1 steel rod in from each side obviously the rod will have to be smaller diameter than the tubing. Drill holes in the end of the rod and put in some pins to keep it from sliding out. It's kind of hard to explain, maybe you can picture what I'm getting at. If I had a picture I would post it.
hope this helps
This is how I did mine, but it was for a side gate and only used 2 hinges. I also did not add the pins to the rod. The gate will not come off during transport and when the gate is down it would have to move a lot to come all the way out. I just used a small mig welder and made a couple passes at each weld and it looks good.

MATT

www.progressivelawn.com
www.wichitalawnmowing.com
www.partybuswichitaks.com

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
- Aristotle

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
- Leonardo da Vinci
Old 01-20-2003, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

hinges for tailgate

I have an enclosed car trailer and that is how it is done.. kinda.. They have three point s for the hinge.. one in the center and two on either side the center one is attached to the ramp and the two outer ones are welded to the trailer itself and then there is a metal rod running through them that is mushroomed at either end so it doesnt come out .. there are three sets of these on the ramp one on each end and one in the center and they are fitted with zerk fittings to grease them up .. works quite well...
Old 01-25-2003, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

A few years ago I took a MIG & TIG course at a local vocational school night class. The textbook was "Welding Skills" by R.T. Miller, ISBN 0-8269-3007-7. Its companion workbook was ISBN 0-8269-3008-5. Published by American Technical Publishers Inc.

This was actually the second course out of three. The first course was stick welding. I've done that but needed to learn sheet metal welding, hence the MIG & TIG.
Old 01-25-2003, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you given any thought to taking a coarse at local college or voc. school??A friend of mine is taking welding free with the hope scholarship in GA.---you would get to use all types of welders.then you would know what type was for you.