Register free!

Old 08-14-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Overseeding Season Has Begun

The heat finally broke and now the irrigated lawns are all compacted from excessive water usage to combat the heat... There are these tiny little dirt dips in the turf that the client wants to have filled in with fresh dirt and reseeded... this would amount to a complete topdressing raked out by hand to accomplish what he's expecting...

Since the compaction issue is severe, I've decided that running an aerator at least twice over the turf, then dragging to level off the ground, with a little bit of topdressing for the worse areas, should be the most cost effective way of getting it done...

Does this sound good, or is there a better strategy to loosen and level the turf at the same time , while seeding???

Soil Texture = :The ground is a quality topsoil brought in from local yards, so is a mix of clay, sand, and silt in rather good proportions...
Thanks for any ideas...
Old 08-14-2012, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Do you think it is time to start overseeding now?
The lawns here are really still growing quite vigorously and the soil temps are still over 70.
I was thinking of starting in possibly a couple weeks unless things heat up again.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-14-2012, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I know I'm a lot further south than you guys but it's still way too early here. We've had a complete turn around from 6 weeks ago when everything was burnt to a crisp. We started getting rain around the 4th of July and have been getting steady rains since. Grass is growing faster than I can mow it. I typically don't start overseeding until at least the middle of September and go up til early November or the first heavy frost. I do think I will sow some annual ryegrass on select lawns around Labor Day to try and get an early jump on it.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

People around here shut off the irrigation in late Sept/earlyOct., so the grass has to be able to withstand another droughted October as we've had the last 2 years in a row...

This is an irrigated lawn with adequate shade so it won't be a problem wth aeration... Seeding is just about perfect for CentroWisco because 70s for daytime highs and the cool nites, with the warm soil temps are just about perfect...
as long as there is irrigation, we should get germination in about a week,, and a nice new lawn by Labor Day...

In full sun w/out irrigation, I would still put down the seed so it would have a chance to settle in and start to grow when the Fall rains begin... The sun is still to hot to aerate if it is exposed all day long, but seeding can go down anytime now...
Old 08-15-2012, 10:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
People around here shut off the irrigation in late Sept/earlyOct.
This is a big problem around here. Last season, the dingdong irrigation companies were shutting off and blowing out sprinkler systems in September. Lawns went bone dry in October and deathly dormant - it took forever and a day in the spring for those lawns to recuperate.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 08-15-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Member

I have seeded in mid august up here on long island for the last 3 years with great results. Irrigation is important this time of year though.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm a little bit farther south than you, and i saw a guy out aerating and overseeding last weekend! first week in august, we have gotten some good rains, but IMO its way to early here in GA. I've got a couple lined up in september so far.

yardboy, like your youtube stuff btw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey4671 View Post
I know I'm a lot further south than you guys but it's still way too early here. We've had a complete turn around from 6 weeks ago when everything was burnt to a crisp. We started getting rain around the 4th of July and have been getting steady rains since. Grass is growing faster than I can mow it. I typically don't start overseeding until at least the middle of September and go up til early November or the first heavy frost. I do think I will sow some annual ryegrass on select lawns around Labor Day to try and get an early jump on it.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Try to start 6 to 8 weeks before frost. When soil temperatures are high. Keep in mind bluegrass is very slow and perennial rye is much faster to take hold. I seeded some blue/rye mix in northern Michigan last week, August 4th. After 7 days it was about 2 inches tall at the maximum.

Of course for seeding Bermuda--you would start in spring when temperatures are over 85 and getting hotter. Overseeding Bermuda for winter color with per rye...don't know...no experience.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

So now that we all agree on timing of reseeding, does anyone have any idea of how to more quickly get all those little depressions filled in level and seeded???
I have help for the day after aerating but it still seems like a lot of raking... I'll try the chainlink fence drag first but I don't know...
Old 08-18-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
So now that we all agree on timing of reseeding, does anyone have any idea of how to more quickly get all those little depressions filled in level and seeded???
I have help for the day after aerating but it still seems like a lot of raking... I'll try the chainlink fence drag first but I don't know...
Chain link behind my ride on works awesome!