Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

poly sand question

ok, first off let me state I don't do any hardscape installation work. However I have a client who is having a problem with her patio. She recently had a company come in to fix their own work (sunken in two spots) and they were suppposed to re-poly sand the patio (power washed the sand out). However, (this is what she told me), after they re-sanded, they lightly misted once and left. The following evening a huge storm came through that lasted the following day. For the first week or two 25-35% of the joints were soft and mushy. Now you can sweep it out (majority of the patio at this point) pretty easily with a stiff bristled broom.

Here's my questions. From what I've read on here, shouldn't the poly sand be wetted down (not overly drenched so as the polymers get washed out) multiple times? Also would the storm have washed it all out (being the company should have also not done it before a storm)?

Here's my other question. Does she have to have it all redone again? I.E., all the sand removed to the base of the paver (2.5in thick pavers I believe) or can just the first inch be removed and re-sanded?

No one can seem to give a her the same answer in this area and she is tired of dealing with the company that did the work (had them back multiple times for mistakes/warranty work) so I want to try to help get her some answers.

Thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Over wetting will wash the glue out of the sand. That's probably what happened (from the rain). Under wetting is no good either.

If the sand has not hardened before the rainfall - then it needs re-done.

No pressure washer. Use a tow behind air compressor with a blow gun on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by DVS Hardscaper; 08-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like all of the polymers were washed out.

Yes, you need to remove the existing sand from the joints (like DVS said, an air compressor is best) and install new polymeric sand.