Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-14-2012, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Email marketing

Does anybody do any kind of email marketing? What are you doing? What kind of results are you using?
Old 08-15-2012, 06:25 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC1 View Post
Does anybody do any kind of email marketing? What are you doing? What kind of results are you using?
Do you mean bulk email or targeting a well-cultivated list of current or realistic, potential customers?
Old 08-15-2012, 07:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I was curious to see if people were doing either. I wondered if bulk list would work like similar to direct mail campaigns.

I would also like to do a nice newsletter/marketing piece to stay in front of current customers or at least a "well cultivated" list.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
I wondered if bulk list would work like similar to direct mail campaigns.
Unsolicited bulk email blasts just don't convert and then you factor in that you're a locally-targeted service business.

Quote:
I would also like to do a nice newsletter/marketing piece to stay in front of current customers or at least a "well cultivated" list.
Now you're talking. Take a look at the various online services such as MailChimp.com (personal fav). They still have their Forever Free plan, and that would likely fit your needs, especially to get your feet wet.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of response are you seeing from your mailchimp efforts? How many emails are you sending out and how often?
Old 08-15-2012, 12:49 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I use GoDaddy, the program I have comes out to less than $12 a month, I can have upto 2500 recipients on the list, the package also gives me live data statistics to see how many people open the emails, click on the links in them, send it to spam, etc.

The important thing to remember is that bulk email marketing is regulated b the FCC much like marketing phone calls are with the do not call list. All bulk emails MUST contain a link that easily allows the recipient to unsubscribe from the mailing list.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do E-Newsletters!!

E-Newsletters are a must to keep up with technology!

I use MailChimp for all my email newsletters and announcements.

To give you a background of my success with E-Newsletters:
  • I have been doing them for a couple years now
  • I send out a E-Newsletter each month and a couple of announcement emails throughout the year.
  • I add every customer to my email list
  • I currently have 75 subscribers
  • My email list has an overall average email open rate of 38.7% (My industry average is 15.6%)
  • My last e-newsletter (July) had a open rate of 35.1%
  • My email list has an overall average click rate of 2.5% which matches the industry average
  • My last e-newsletter (July) had a click rate of 9.5%
  • My email list has an unsubscribe rate of 0.2%
  • My customers have told me they enjoy and look forward to my email newsletters
  • I have sold many additional services to my current customers via my email list

Here is my online email list archive where you can view all my past emails: http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/hom...&id=1610b3d85b

TIPS FOR SUCCESS:
  • Do NOT send out tons of emails! I try not to send more than 2 emails per month unless it is something really important.
  • Have all your emails match your company branding. Use your logo and company colors on every email you send.
  • Provide an incentive to sign-up and to remain subscribed. I offer a coupon that is automatically sent to the customer 1 day after they subscribe. To keep them subscribed, if they provide their birthday, MailChimp automatically sends them a coupon on their birthday.
  • Upsell services but don't over-doit. They are your current customers afterall.
  • Don't make it all about you or your company! I try to include 1 or 2 things about our company. The rest is DIY tips or interesting lawn care facts. Make them want to read it!
  • Link to your site wherever possible!
  • Use pictures in your e-newsletters! Remember, pictures are worth a thousand words.
  • Use the email merge tags! There are so many possibilities with merge tags. You can show certain content to specific subscribers based on their interests or location. Use the date, subscriber count, facebook, twitter, forward email, table of contents, and birthday merge tags to enhance your email.
  • Read and study your email analytics. They are very powerful and can be of great help if you know how to use the information. Alot of it is trial and error and you will eventually learn which tactics work best.

I have attached a pdf of my July E-newsletter report. Some of the analytics is missing from the report to protect my subscriber's privacy.

Let me know if you have any questions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf July E-Newsletter Report.pdf (121.9 KB, 26 views)

Old 08-15-2012, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like you are having good success kirk. I think the monthly news letter is a nice idea. It's a way to stay in front of the customers while educating them.

I am also interested to see someone who tried bulk mailing to potential clients.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Looks like you are having good success kirk. I think the monthly news letter is a nice idea. It's a way to stay in front of the customers while educating them.

I am also interested to see someone who tried bulk mailing to potential clients.
I do regular bulk mailings to potential clients, but this fall we will be trying our first bulk emails to potential clients. I expect the return to be extreamly low with most emails going directly into the spam folder; but at $1,300 for 50,000 emails, I'm willing to give it a couple tries.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

How are you going about buying your lists? I have used lists in the past for other businesses I have and run into a lot of problems where half the list is bad before you even get started.