Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center



Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-29-2012, 04:24 PM
spitfire3416's Avatar
spitfire3416 spitfire3416 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 384
Loud cranking noise when shifting into gear

I just bought a 2011 silverado from the dealership a couple days. Everything seemed fine at first but I just noticed yesterday when I put it into gear with my trailer hooked up it made a loud metal cranking noise, like you can hear all the gears being shifted. It only seems to do it on hills or our driveway, which has a little bit of a slope to it. Haven't noticed it on flat ground yet but I'll keep an ear out for it. Seems like it only does it when there is a significant amount of weight being applied, like I mentioned with the trailer being hooked up and being on a hill.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-29-2012, 04:54 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,774
Check your hitch receiver pin/holes for wear, Also make sure the ball is tight and your trailer coupler is adjusted to pinch the ball adequately.....
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-29-2012, 05:08 PM
spitfire3416's Avatar
spitfire3416 spitfire3416 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Check your hitch receiver pin/holes for wear, Also make sure the ball is tight and your trailer coupler is adjusted to pinch the ball adequately.....
Why would this make that sound though? I'm saying as I shift from park to drive, you can hear the gears shifting very loudly. I don't understand what my trailer receiver has to do with that.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-29-2012, 05:14 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire3416 View Post
I just bought a 2011 silverado from the dealership a couple days. Everything seemed fine at first but I just noticed yesterday when I put it into gear with my trailer hooked up it made a loud metal cranking noise, like you can hear all the gears being shifted. It only seems to do it on hills or our driveway, which has a little bit of a slope to it. Haven't noticed it on flat ground yet but I'll keep an ear out for it. Seems like it only does it when there is a significant amount of weight being applied, like I mentioned with the trailer being hooked up and being on a hill.
Next time you park put the trucks ebrake on before putting it into park. When you are ready to move again put the truck in drive before releasing ebrake...report back.

Sounds to me like you are using park to hold truck and trailer on hill. When doing this it puts the parking detent under a load causing a "Clanking" noise when switching to drive or reverse.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,774
Guess I read into your post wrong...... Bring on the tar and feathers !
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Guess I read into your post wrong...... Bring on the tar and feathers !
It's on Rob, I know normally you are spot on with these types of things...have you had too many tonight?
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Restrorob's Avatar
Restrorob Restrorob is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Show'n my truck off !
Posts: 10,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer View Post
have you had too many tonight?

Nope..... Gave that up 13 yrs ago, Had to work today......

When a vehicle is put in gear with the engine running 800/1000 RPM the body tends to rock/lurch, When starting up a hill or down trailer load changes. These two things could cause a "cranking" ???? noise.....


Maybe a word like GRINDING/CLUNK would have been better suited ???
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
You never learn anything until you admit you don't know it all...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-29-2012, 07:38 PM
cgaengineer's Avatar
cgaengineer cgaengineer is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Winder, GA
Posts: 15,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrorob View Post
Nope..... Gave that up 13 yrs ago, Had to work today......

When a vehicle is put in gear with the engine running 800/1000 RPM the body tends to rock/lurch, When starting up a hill or down trailer load changes. These two things could cause a "cranking" ???? noise.....


Maybe a word like GRINDING/CLUNK would have been better suited ???
Good for you on the drinking.

Yes, clank or clunk would have been a better description.
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 PM
spitfire3416's Avatar
spitfire3416 spitfire3416 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Central Jersey
Posts: 384
okay just tried that and it seemed to work. did it 3 times without applying the parking brake and it kept making the clanking. then 3 times with the parking brake on and it worked every time. but heres the thing.. the truck i had before this never did that and never had to apply the parking brake. still worth getting checked out or do you think its fine? I did just buy it a few days ago, still has all the warranties..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-29-2012, 09:31 PM
piston slapper's Avatar
piston slapper piston slapper is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Tampa Fl
Posts: 4,045
No tar and feathers please....but ...wouldn't a bad U joint or carrier bearing also give you a clunk..???
Not planning on giving up my Bud until they cost $5 a bottle.....or until I run out of doctors that tell me how good it is for me.....
Posted via Mobile Device
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.

Page generated in 0.07576 seconds with 9 queries