Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Tru Cut Dealers?

I have decided I need a reel mower for my empire zoysia and from what I have read on this forum Tru Cut seems to be a good choice. I have looked at some used greens mowers such as Deere and Toro but they seem to be only able to cut at a maximum height of 1" whereas the Tru Cut will go to 2". I like the option of being able to adjust the height to over 1" if I so desire. Are there other walk behind reel mowers comparable to the Tru Cut?
My question is where to find a decent used Tru Cut or a dealer in south FL that has something besides suggested retail prices for the new ones? I figure a good used one would last me forever with only 4500 sq ft and a new one would last until grandchildren are grown.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Where exactly in a Florida are you??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 02:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Near Stuart, Martin County.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Uncle Bims in wpb is a Tru-cut dealer with excellent service. They have a guy who does the sharpening too....I know it's a decent drive from stuart, but I would purchase from them....
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2012, 11:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Uncle Bims in wpb is a Tru-cut dealer with excellent service. They have a guy who does the sharpening too....I know it's a decent drive from stuart, but I would purchase from them....
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks. It's not much of a drive, I was going to St Augustine to check out a used one so Palm Beach is not a problem for me, especially if they service what they sell.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbpow View Post
Thanks. It's not much of a drive, I was going to St Augustine to check out a used one so Palm Beach is not a problem for me, especially if they service what they sell.
Then I would def buy from them...they take good care of their customers...trust me, I've been to plenty of shops that dont
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-30-2012, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

There are at least two golf course mowers that will cut higher than 1" (and quite a bit lower, too), and aren't too big for a reasonably sized residential lawn (1/3 acre and up).

I bought a used 2006 Jacobsen TriKing 1800G (3/8" to 2-1/4" cut) with 200 hours on it about a month ago. Bought it from the original individual owner (only used it on his 1/3 acre lawn), thus the low hours. Jacobsen also has a TriKing 1900D. Same mower except it has a Kubota diesel instead of a B&S gas engine. It has a 6' wide cut, so I can easily mow my lawn in 30 minutes.

Toro has the ReelMaster 3100D that has a similar height-of-cut range, but it is a much "beefier" machine and more expensive. All of these machines list new for $20K+, up to $30K.

Look for these on eBay. What you want is typically referred to as a "trim mower" or "fairway mower". There are usually several for sale in Florida. There's a Jacobsen 1900D in Ft. Meyers on eBay now.

Edit: Just read that your yard is 4500 sq.ft. These mowers would probably be overkill for you, unless you just wanted one really bad. Also, keep in mind that they aren't designed for residential yards. For example, mine leaves about a 4" strip when mowing next to my home. It won't cut any closer than that.
I bought the 1800G because it was almost local (a couple of hours away) so I could see it, and I know a lot more about gas engines than diesels. Since I will only put about 100 hours a year on it, it should outlast me.

I bought a TruCut C27 at the beginning of last year. I think it is a good mower, but cutting my 1/2 acre lawn twice a week during high heat high humidity summers got really old. The thing I don't like about the C27 is that I found it really hard to get the reel-to-bedknife clearance set correctly. I just never got the knack for it. If it's too little clearance, you will damage the reel and/or bedknife. If it's too much clearance, the cut will look like crap. Backlapping was also a bit of a pain. Now I use the C27 for cutting close to the house, flower beds, etc., so it doesn't need to be adjusted as often.

Setting the clearances and backlapping is much easier on the golf course mowers. Setting the height of cut on the golf course mowers is much more difficult than the TruCut though, so I wouldn't want to be changing it often.

One last thing...before you buy anything, check with some golf courses nearby to see if they will sharpen the reel(s) for you. It may be a lot cheaper than having a dealer sharpen them, especially if you end up with a golf course mower. It may also influence your decision on what brand to buy, based on what the local golf course is used to working with (if you have them sharpen yours).
If any provision of this post is, for any reason, held to be invalid, incorrect, or indefensible, the other provisions of this post will be unimpaired and the invalid, incorrect, or indefensible provision will be deemed modified so that it is valid, correct, and defensible to the maximum extent permitted by law.

Last edited by Ira; 07-30-2012 at 11:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. I think I will try an experiment before committing myself to a major purchase like a good quality Tru Cut. I am going to get a Fiskars push reel mower and see how I like the difference in the cut between it and my rotary mower. If the difference is considerable I'll go get a 20" Tru Cut and give the push mower to someone who needs the exercise.
Old 07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

What other brands besides tru cut are good residential mowers. I have an 8500 sqft lawn. Also how level does it need to be to cut with a reel mower? I just plugged my lawn(which is in the renovation thread under plugging experiment) and its spreading nice. THink I might want a reel mower for cutting it. I'm good friends with the super on the course I live and hopefully he can sharpen and teach me how to adjust it. I'd like the ability to cut it a little higher, maybe 2 inches for now.
Old 07-30-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
What other brands besides tru cut are good residential mowers. I have an 8500 sqft lawn. Also how level does it need to be to cut with a reel mower? I just plugged my lawn(which is in the renovation thread under plugging experiment) and its spreading nice. THink I might want a reel mower for cutting it. I'm good friends with the super on the course I live and hopefully he can sharpen and teach me how to adjust it. I'd like the ability to cut it a little higher, maybe 2 inches for now.
If your going to cut at 2", I wouldn't buy a reel. Yes, Tru-cut will cut at 2", but what's the point if your going to cut high?? Lawn needs to be pretty level to cut with a reel. Flat too.
Posted via Mobile Device