Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-17-2012, 10:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Kubota BX-24 reliability?

I've been toying with the idea of getting a small TLB and saw a Kubota BX-24 for sale on Craigslist. So I did a little research on the Internet and found this listing of several of them.

http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/lis...TA&mdltxt=BX24

What surprised me was that most of them shown have very low hours (200, 282, 67, 245, 196, etc.) That might be because they are all rental machines that the dealers are trying to get rid of before they get too many years on them, but maybe there's something wrong here and if so, I'd like to know before I get involved with buying a lemon.

Can anyone tell me if this model has serious reliability problems. I doubt if a dealer would tell me, but maybe someone that reads this forum would share it with me if this is something I should stay away from.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 2350. Mechanically its tough as granite. The center of gravity though is way too high.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have heard that they are very reliable. The only issue I see with the BX series is that the loader capacity and lift height is so small that these machines are not well suited for landscaping. I used to have a much larger Kioti CK20 and it was marginal to load my pickup.

The standard Kubota B series machines are not that much more expensive but IMO much more practical because of their physically larger size. Loader weight capacities are much higher and so is lift height.

I suppose it would be helpful to know exactly what you want to use it for.
Old 08-19-2012, 05:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryF View Post
What surprised me was that most of them shown have very low hours (200, 282, 67, 245, 196, etc.) That might be because they are all rental machines that the dealers are trying to get rid of before they get too many years on them, but maybe there's something wrong here and if so, I'd like to know before I get involved with buying a lemon.
The BX series from Kubota is quality equipment, built for long, hard use. The reason that you see some with low hours is because they hold their value very well. Therefore, it's actually economical to buy one for a year long project, and then sell it at the end. Compared to renting you'll come out ahead. BTW all the rental companies around here rent out the BX.

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if this model has serious reliability problems. I doubt if a dealer would tell me, but maybe someone that reads this forum would share it with me if this is something I should stay away from.
The BX is good equipment.

Go here:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...ing-operating/
and here
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/k...uying-pricing/

ps:
As noted above, it would be helpful if you provided a bit more info about what you are trying to do with the machine. The BX, for example, is not a good machine for pulling stumps -- too light. Can you dig a big stump out with a BX? Yes, you can. It just will take much longer than you want.

Wrooster <-- has BX1860
Old 08-19-2012, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the BX25 for 3 1/2 years, about 190 hours. The 25 is the model that came out after the 24, and I think jthe BX26 might be coming soon.

Overall reliabilty is excellant. Between the 24 & 25 are minute differences, plastic versus metal hood, apparently Kubota has gone back and forth on this all the way bcak to the BX22. On the 24 the rpms need to be close to full throtle to operate the backhoe, on the 25 less rpms are required...not a big deal. There was an issue with the 24 when going in reverse being herky jerky when you took your foot off the pedal, which was fixed on the 25. I would say not completely fixed and also not that bad on the 24 when you got used to using it.

If anyone tells you these are not commercial, but more homeowner, don't listen to them. I have use mine hard, days where for 8+ hours of digging, loading, and I find it near bulletproof, for sure it is commercial/contractor grade. I have only done fluid chnage, next maintenace is at 250 hrs.

I'll tell you what guys told me when I was looking on the dedicated tractor forums, the BX will do anything the bigger tractors can do, just takes longer. The main reason anyone would get a BX is you need to go where the big guys can't, it will just get through a 53-54" gate opening. If size and space is not a criteria, then follow the well known tractor kudo of getting the biggest you can permit youself to get.

If you need raw power, consider a skidsteer. If not tearing up lawns and having a BH is important, then a tractor is beter and the BX is the smaleest you can get with a BH. Also, if you need a cabin, Kubota does not make one, there are some aftermarket but are expensive and not that good. If you need a cabin, there is 1B series only that has a cabin, the rest don't.

With my BX I have a 54" finecut mid mower, 54" snowblower, turf and R tires & rims, and bucket forks. It is a great machine and would highly recomend it to anyone. Just remeber if you need the smallest tractor to do big jobs, this will do it. If small is not an issue, then go as big as you can.

God luck!
Old 08-20-2012, 10:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks everyone for the comments. They were all very helpful to me, especially FMC1959ís.

In regard to the questions about what I would use the TLB for, I had assumed that it was pretty obvious from my avatar (Larryís Toy) that Iím not in any kind of business, just a homeowner who sometimes buys good-quality equipment for use on his own property. Last year I had rented a loader to move about 15 tons of crushed stone about 400 feet from the street where the supplier had dropped it to the spot where I wanted to erect a shed, and a photo of it is included with this post. It was a very satisfying experience for me, so once having done that and since I have a pretty big lot, I can think of other tasks where it would be nice to have a small TLB on my property including, of course, clearing snow off my 150-foot driveway. But Iíd never use it commercially as you fellows do. Since, as wrooster pointed out, these machines hold their value well, maybe I wouldnít lose much if I just bought a used one with low hours on it and sell it a few years later after Iíve finished some other projects I have in mind.

By the way, the shed turned out great, I think, and a photo of it sitting on top of the above-mentioned stone is also attached.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2012, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
In regard to the questions about what I would use the TLB for, I had assumed that it was pretty obvious from my avatar (Larryís Toy) that Iím not in any kind of business, just a homeowner who sometimes buys good-quality equipment for use on his own property.
Same here, tons of projects are within your grasp with a good tractor like the BX -- pics of some of things you can do start below...

Quote:
Last year I had rented a loader to move about 15 tons of crushed stone about 400 feet from the street where the supplier had dropped it to the spot where I wanted to erect a shed, and a photo of it is included with this post.
Looks GREAT!

Wrooster

Old 08-20-2012, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My cousin has a lil kubota and aside from a few lil problems his has been solid. I know we have moved tons and tons of firewood with it.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMC1959 View Post
I have the BX25 for 3 1/2 years, about 190 hours.

With my BX I have a 54" finecut mid mower, 54" snowblower, turf and R tires & rims, and bucket forks.
The nearest Kubota dealer to me is about 25 miles away and I haven't been there yet. When I do go, I guess I'll get answers but I'm surprised to hear you say you use a snowblower with yours. I didn't realize the loader and the backhoe were detachable, and that's why I thought the BX models were considered to be regarded by some to be only homeowner quality machines. Am I wrong? Another question I'd like to ask is the overall length of the BX25, because I wonder if it will fit in my shed. That info may be on the Internet somewhere, but I haven't seen it yet. If you have a trailer for yours, would you please give me the dimensions and whether it's double axle one? Mine is only a single axle 6' x 10', so I presume it's much too small to carry a BX25. I've used it to haul crushed stone and sand, but I've always kept the load under 3/4 ton. If I do get a BX24 or 25, I think I may need a new trailer too. Do you agree?
Old 08-20-2012, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I didn't realize the loader and the backhoe were detachable, and that's why I thought the BX models were considered to be regarded by some to be only homeowner quality machines. Am I wrong?
You can take the FEL (front end loader) off of a BX in about 60 seconds, and put it back on in 60 seconds. It's that easy.

See videos here:
http://www.messicks.com/blog/post/Ku...he-loader.aspx
http://www.messicks.com/blog/post/Re...5-Backhoe.aspx
http://www.messicks.com/blog/post/At...5-backhoe.aspx

Wrooster