Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-11-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Member

Customers

I had a customer that I picked up at the beginning of the season and mowed in April and May. Then I was told my service would no longer be needed. I did not think much about it, and thought the homeowner would maintain own yard. Got voicemail today from homeowner wanting to discuss mowing and other maintenance items.

Are you leary about customer who drops you then comes back?
Old 08-11-2012, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like money issues to me. Provider beware.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Generally speaking customers who drop us don't last the second time around either but
I take it or leave it, that is your choice but I learned over the years not to look into it,
it is my job to just go give them their estimate and be done, no matter what comes of it.

Know what I'm saying, just do your job, don't worry about what this or that, all I'm saying.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

you can charge him more because you need to squeeze him into your schedule .
Old 08-11-2012, 06:27 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkeguy View Post
I had a customer that I picked up at the beginning of the season and mowed in April and May. Then I was told my service would no longer be needed. I did not think much about it, and thought the homeowner would maintain own yard. Got voicemail today from homeowner wanting to discuss mowing and other maintenance items.

If your not Leary you should be. It is your call, however Once bitten Twice shy
may apply under the circumstances.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

To get it back in shape will be more. Go higher upfront, then give a regular price.
If they think the initial cleanup should be the regular price, they are not for you. If they start acting like they don't want to get on a schedule, drop them again, and that's it. If they want you to be on-call, and you want that business, that's higher than the regular price, and there will be a wait. I dropped someone because their grandson would cut the grass when he was in town. No No No.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudosun View Post
I dropped someone because their grandson would cut the grass when he was in town. No No No.
You know something. That has never bothered me. If a homeowner wants to get out there and cut their own grass once in a while I'm fine with that. As long as I know they intend to do that once in a while. And they call me before I get there and see that it's already been cut. I get tired of looking at the same tall grass, week after week. A little break once in a while doesn't hurt me. I'm not nearly in such financial straits that the loss of $35 in one week will kill me. And it keeps the homeowner happy.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

The question is am I leary about the customer calling back and the answer is maybe. Its all on you. Did you have a good relationship when it started? Reasoning was the homeowner would maintain their own yard. If they were a prompt payer with no issues then I would call back to talk. Their personal situation may have changed where they now work an odd schedule or they are not able to do the lawn for good reason. They want to talk about mowing and other maintenance items and that opens the door for you to set your terms. Now if you don't want to be dropped again I would suggest a contract. You can be leary but don't be too leary until you talk with them and get the whole story. Let us know what happens.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:40 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer few years back ,I cut the lawn then after a month cancelled .They called back to start up again ,he told me he had shoulder surgery and thought he could start cutting again but couldn't ,so I took over again.Just ask.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

Little Johnny was on summer break and he was mowing it...now its back to school time so now your phone rings.

Cheap @ss customer that doesn't respect you or your business. Dump them.

Dave...