Register free!

Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

tree problem (picture)

sorry didn't know where else to post this and i am too lazy to start yet another registration with another site (treesite.com). not sure why they aren't all integrated with same sign in.

I have a customer with an oak tree we planted a few months ago. she called me worried about it b/c there is some sort of small indention and looks like maybe water dripping out of it? i've never seen anything like it and she is freaking out. Is this something we need to worry about? What is it and/or what causes this? The tree does look stressed but we are in the middle of a drought.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Is the injury on the SW side of the tree?

We have seen a ton of "sunscald" or sw injury this year, but mostly on maples. If the bark is injured on the SW side of the plant, that is almost positively what it is.

If it is, you will see the tree weaken, and when it does it is more suseptible to other things: drought, bores, disease. It could be potentially a combination of these things.

If it is SW injury, water it like crazy to help it survive this drought. Hopefully it will recover, then use a tree wrap at the base of the plant next winter.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Member

If you have access to a root injection attachment water it that way to ensure water is getting to the rootball. If not, water slowly but deep to ensure absorption. You can also wrap the trunk as recommended previously, however, use a breathable netting or mesh of clear or neutral color.

"Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
Old 08-01-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

she's had a gator bag on it since we planted it.
Old 08-01-2012, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Your soil around the base looks terrible.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Frost cracks
Sun scalding and lack of water will cause the lesions to weep.
I have a couple of maples that are exhibiting this same problem. I HAD a weeping willow that did the same thing..........HAD!!
Verticillium is real bad this season also!
All you can do is fertilize the tree, water deeply if not already been doing it and promote vigor. Don't try to coat that area....let nature do its thing. And if you do mulch around the base, don't let the mulch touch the bark at all. If all else fails, cut the tree down, burn it and don't replace another tree of this species in place unless it is imperative.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smell it. If it smells of fermentation, you have a bacterial infection going on, Co2 pushing out sap. Could just be simple injury being a new tree....(trunk resting on tailgate during transport.)
Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree to smell the sap and identify a odor. Otherwise, my weeping willow back 3 months ago underwent this same type of action at the trunk. There was a lesion, a crack, and then watery material coming out of those areas.
It is hard to see after my hot day on the lawns, but I believe to see two exit woulds that appear to be borer damage. Just because it is a young tree and planted a short time ago, it doesn't make them resistant to borers. Nursery stock isn't safe either!!
Since you are in Oklahoma and the temps has been horrible and drought stricken......I can't help but say it is sun scald and insect damage. Could be installation damage or from transport also but it should have appeared before now. Oaks is tough, maples are weak, especially during a drought. We are losing maples, oaks, hickories, and dogwoods by the dozens each day.
Old 08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
LawnSite Member

That looks like an infection to me. Maybe contact your local extension office and see what they think. I don't see many problems on oak out here in CO. so am not familiar with this, but mostly what I do is tree insect and disease control and I would think that's a biotic problem you have there.

Light fertilizing and regular watering are going to be your best options either way. There's not much you can do for vascular infections, but fertilizer can be helpful sometimes.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Could be bacterial wetwood or "slime flux"

Search online those keywords for more info.

At my main site M. D. Vaden Portland Landscaping, you could find a good explanation on sunburn if you dig into the advice area. I'm guessing it's not sunscald or sunburn primarily, though you could have both.

Also, Sunscald or sunburn can be on any side of the tree, because many nurseries don't protect ends of rows and end-rows. So if a tree got damaged, and reoriented to compass direction, could see sunburn damage on the north just as easily.

Still wondering about the slime flux though.

Coast Redwoods . . . Landscaping Portland & Tree Service . . . M. D. Vaden Photography

http://www.lawnsite.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9938&dateline=1262369890