Register free!

Old 08-19-2012, 03:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
I always check soil because adding more Mg, to a soil with a Ca/Mg imbalance can create problems. It is very possible to have too much Ca in relation to everything else. I need to walk away when "pros" are spreading either gypsum or epsom salts and they have no idea of their soil levels. The actual problem is normally high pH, too much Ca or Mg, low sulfur, and low Fe,Mn. The solution for that does not normally go through a fert spreader.

I seriously need to start writting some of this down... You mentioned Ca /Mg balance before. I suspect it was a non-issue when I followed up on it before but I must be getting old. I just do not recall. I think you said something about 2:1 to 5:1 was oK.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Greendoctor your right on with the staining with micros i dont think i'll ever run micros with granular again... i learned the hard way had a newbie guy accidentally throw some granular with FE in a swimming pool i think you guys know how the rest of the story goes.....
Old 08-19-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I can tell you this, not all Liquid FE is non-staining and even non-staining will get in untreated fences.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

A high Mg soil will tend to be poorly drained and extremely sticky. This is in spite of adding organic matter. Come to think of it, in many cases, that type of soil is often amended to the point of not having very much of the original soil left. It is almost 100% compost. Only practical on small flower beds, not for lawns.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 08-19-2012, 03:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
A high Mg soil will tend to be poorly drained and extremely sticky. This is in spite of adding organic matter. Come to think of it, in many cases, that type of soil is often amended to the point of not having very much of the original soil left. It is almost 100% compost. Only practical on small flower beds, not for lawns.
I was digging the other day for an irrgation repair and found some patches of clay almost white

Our clay is considered black gumbo. Often the top soil is stripped so it kind of poor.
Old 08-19-2012, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I can tell you this, not all Liquid FE is non-staining and even non-staining will get in untreated fences.
That is true. Which is why I refuse to spray even straight fertilizer on a gusty day. It is not worth getting it on fences, cars, concrete or on buildings. Not to mention the call back because the lawn has green and yellow striping in it. This actually happened to me when I applied on a 25 MPH day. I also prefer very precise spray equipment as well that can apply in straight swaths. That way, a swing too far over does not go off target.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here is something I found about our soils.

Desired Ca: Mg Ratio 69:11
Calcium and magnesium are primarily responsible for a soil's physical structure, but they are also critical to a plant's development. Calcium loosens soil while magnesium acts as the glue to tighten soil. Soils that have 69% calcium and 11% magnesium are naturally mellow and crumbly. Many soils in Northeast Texas have both high Ca and Mg levels. For every percentage point Ca is over 69%, the same amount of Mg is being tied up, causing a tightening effect on the soil.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Greendoctor i have a question for you. You said in HI inland soils are acidic right? So you obviously have a big difference in soil testing from one lawn to another. But funny thing is here in Columbus the southern side seems to test very consistent from lawn to lawn. I would never say a soil test is pointless but after having i dont know how many done only a few have been wildly different than the rest. Have you ever seen that before? I listen to you guys talk about the big differences in lawn to lawn but truthfully there is some here but not a lot??? An oldtimer here once told me that when the glaciers came down into north America i guess the line is somewhat close to Columbus so all those nutrients that melted off formed almost a perfect line on up. Not sure if he was just BS or what but you can kinda see it in soil test....
Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
I was digging the other day for an irrgation repair and found some patches of clay almost white

Our clay is considered black gumbo. Often the top soil is stripped so it kind of poor.
When I dig for an irrigation repair, I hit white on a regular basis. Even where I least expect it. Builders use coral as their base course. That turns red clay white and ensures the impossibility of maintaining a nice landscape.

Old 08-19-2012, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBuster View Post
Hmmm... i wonder about the primo i havent used any growth regulators up here we dont do any mowing. I've heard it gives great latteral results in the turf for you southern guys. Dont know anyone up here that runs it. Plus if i remember correctly its pretty expensive.
If I remember correctly the Primo rate on Blue Grass is like 44 Oz a acre. St Augustine high rate is 6.5 oz per acre making it a lot more affordable on St Augustine. If you are mowing, Primo needs to be applied once a month to avoid the "Spring Back" effect where the turf grows faster than normal when the PGR wears off.

Primo cause a shorter Cell with the same amount of Chlorophyll, therefore a Greener color. So Primo has Greening power but at what cost on Cool Season turf??

Ca is not a problem in my area because we have very Hard water.

Ammonium Sulfate and Iron always has been known to give great color. I fine adding Potassium Nitrate and Mg will it gives an even better color. I don't use any liquid slow releases because they leach out of my sand before they can up taken by the plant.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.