Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-13-2003, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Backhoes for small utilities?

Has anyone here ever used a backhoe on their small utility tractor? I've searched on the internet and there seems to be some available for $3500-$5000.

I could sure see the benefits. It would really make the tractor a universal landscaping tool. I had looked at ramrod mini loaders and they were way high $$.
Old 01-13-2003, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I've got a 8' Bradco, frame mounted on a Kubota L2900 (on turf tires). It's a real time saver. We do a lot of landscape construction ( big retaining walls, ponds etc.) and general contracting (automated gate systems, pool cabanas etc.). Little jobs that would take 1/2 a day with a couple of guys can literally be done in minutes (and the tractors never complain, get hurt, have hangovers etc. ). Just make sure you get frame mounted not 3pt.hitch they're much more solidly built, and you can still take them off to use other attachments in 10 or 15 minutes. Also, on a compact tractor you really need four wheel drive, two just won't do. Also make sure you get an aux. hyd. pump, they say you can run it off the tractor aux but there's really not enough G.P.M. to run them smoothly.
and Property Maintenance both
residential and commercial"
Old 01-14-2003, 08:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the info. You gave me some good things to think about. I'm sure I'll be getting a backhoe att. one of these days. Right now I'm just kind of going in blind...
Old 01-15-2003, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Backhoe vs mini trackhoe

I had a backhoe & loader mounted on a 22hp 4x4 diesel compact. It worked very well. It never wanted for power. I have since sold it and went to a minitrackhoe. It costs more than a backhoe attachment but it is well worth the difference. It will go places with less damage than the hoe could. I can dig and put the dirt behind me or far enough to the side to not be in my way.
It also can dig deeper and with much less effort. Just my thoughts on the subject.
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2003, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a slick looking trackhoe!...and a good point about its usefulness. It could be a real advantage to having multiple machines doing different jobs rather than just putting all the eggs in one basket...then there is the maintenance of all those different eggs
Old 01-15-2003, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a Nahindra 4110 compact with a Bradco 511 hoe. The Bradco is really stout in size and design. Could use a little more speed, but with this said, the Mahindra tractor hydraulics do allow the 511 to operate fine. It is sub frame mopunted and not in the way of 3pt hitch arms. My only complaint would be other thatn a little more speed (not power), the seat is near impossible to get to. Once up in the seat, you can rock and roll. I would recommend the 511 Bradco to anyone in the look out for a backhoe.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Maintenace on Backhoe

I bought the trackhoe used. I put several dollars in it to get it up like I wanted. Sice then, oil and filters is all I have had to buy for it in two years. I operate it though and take better care than hired help would. It is my favorite toy, I mean tool.