Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2014, 11:27 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Any Black Powder shooters ???

I started with a Blunder Bust wall hanger in Kit form. I have never shot that gun and don't thing it would hit anything. I quickly got a second kit Derringer that I actually shot. I now have 6 Black powder guns and shoot them regularly. Only the first two were Kit guns. I am hunting with Black Powder now. One of the things I enjoy is loading different bullets or bird shot. My Navy Colt Revolver is loaded with Birdshot and is a handheld shot gun. Fact is I can load each chamber with a different charge. Same gun can shoot a snake or kill a hog. Yes I could do the same with a modern revolver but loading you own is more fun.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Any Black Powder shooters ???

Obama would like to see your guns
Old 10-21-2014, 01:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I love shooting black powder. While you seem a bit more traditional as I shoot inlines I understand the fun of trying diff powder sabot combos. I have mine shooting a three inch group at 100 yards. I even use mine to hunt during shotgun season most days (fully legal here)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2014, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybrown View Post
Obama would like to see your guns
Just to piss off the Canadians and left wing liberals I have several modern assault rifles, some that are fully auto and 100 round magazines. I also have horrid thousands of rounds of Ammo in several cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstifel View Post
I love shooting black powder. While you seem a bit more traditional as I shoot inlines I understand the fun of trying diff powder sabot combos. I have mine shooting a three inch group at 100 yards. I even use mine to hunt during shotgun season most days (fully legal here)
Posted via Mobile Device
I bought a Ball Mill from Amazon and I am actually making Black Powder from Fertilizer. Flash Powder and Rocket propellant I make with Fert and House hold chemicals. I bought a small salute Cannon and hope to find a larger cannon that I can actually shoot a projectile.

Sabot are cool because you can shoot all kinds of projectiles. A little hot wax and you can make any thing fit. I am even making Dragon's Breath shells and Fares.

Using the small X mas lights and a 9V battery I can make electric matches to set off my home made fire crackers.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 10-21-2014, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Wow wish you were closer I would love to come for a weekend and learn
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-21-2014, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Actually U Tube has a lot of information on how to make all kinds of pyrotechnics. about the only thing you need is a ball Mill to grind the fertilizer prill into fine powder. The finer the powder the more reactive or powerful it is.

Flash Powder is nothing more than 90% Aluminum foil and 10% charcoal ground super fine. Black powder is 75% KNO3 + 15% Charcoal + 10% sulfur. 50% KNO3 and 50% Powered sugar compressed, is rocket fuel.

Old Today, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Let me add that every thing in those U tube don't work. Or at least not the first time. I used horticulture sulfur to make Black Powder and it has 10% Bentonite which is a clay. I tried to take in an account the 10% factor when blending. But the Bentonite clay made the powder into a clay ball. Gun powder needs a binder and I was counting on the Bentonite to be the binder. It bound to tight. The powder did shoot, but not with a real boom. I have a small 50 cal Cannon that I use for testing. Long Fuse safety glass etc.