Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-23-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepatsfan View Post
I have several employees to plow and shovel. Not easy to not be involved
oh didn't realize you are that big, yeah its tough to find someone to shovel for me right now and i only have 25 driveways. last winter i just did everything myself, tried a few people but they were all slower then me doing the plowing and snow blowing or shoveling myself. maybe this winter will be different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
Yea me too, Especially when they are a no call no show. Snow plowing is just so stressful to me for some reason. I cant sleep for 2 days before a storm.
i don't have that much snow removal yet, but i'm sure i will get there someday, but i can still relate, its not much different for just getting my lawns done, and other basic landscaping, or even chipping jobs which are great for profits. i can get work, but its difficult finding reliable help when most of my friends would rather party the night before they are supposed to work for me and try to show up 2-3hrs late or try to tell me what time they are starting the next day because they are hung over. i actually did find someone that was reliable for the summer, but he's leaving me monday to go work for a well established landscape company out in norwalk, because they have 40hrs a week and i don't.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yea, if i do decide to stay with plowing in the future i will likely try and go all commercial accounts. We currently plow 80+ driveways as well as our commercial accounts and the driveways are just a pain in the ass. Everyone wants to be plowed out first, no one wants to wait, When a truck goes down its hard for the other drivers to pick up the slack because they don't really know that route all that well.

Its really just a headache to me.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 08-23-2012, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Yea, if i do decide to stay with plowing in the future i will likely try and go all commercial accounts. We currently plow 80+ driveways as well as our commercial accounts and the driveways are just a pain in the ass. Everyone wants to be plowed out first, no one wants to wait, When a truck goes down its hard for the other drivers to pick up the slack because they don't really know that route all that well.

Its really just a headache to me.
yeah sounds like it, i don't know how my buddy is still doing it, he has 65 or 70 driveways he was doing with 1 truck since 2004 up until 2 years ago, when he bought a f250 gas truck with a like new mm2 fisher 8ft hd plow.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

my goal is to expand and have a residential route of around 100 or so lawns that i can send 2 guys to do 20 or so lawns a day and work my way into commercial work and get into bush hogging services as well. Then maybe 1 crew or 2 that do hardscaping so i guess im lookin for 4-5 crews total.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My goal is 5 million a year with a 20% profit margin. I think I can do it in 5 years. Eventually, I want a small airplane and a winter vacation home.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
My goal is 5 million a year with a 20% profit margin. I think I can do it in 5 years. Eventually, I want a small airplane and a winter vacation home.
why stop there?

how about an island for the summer and yacht to take there....
Old 08-25-2012, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
you can do all that alot less then 1 million, my buddy owns a small airplane and he is a head foreman for a medium sized landscape company in my area, 5 full time employees big.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSK Property Maintenance View Post
you can do all that alot less then 1 million, my buddy owns a small airplane and he is a head foreman for a medium sized landscape company in my area, 5 full time employees big.
so true, i have a friend going in on a small plane and he already owns beachfront property on an island....

it can be done on a limited to reasonable income...
Old 08-26-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

A nice airplane with a good cruising speed and decent payload is a minimum of 100k. I dont want some piece of crap cessna 152. A nice vacation home will run me at least 500k. I pay cash for everything... Takes a little longer this way.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
My goal is to grow 20-30% each year. I wont be happy until we are running 5+ crews, and servicing 300-400 accounts.
At our peak we were servicing aprox. 700 accts. with 5-6 crews...the economy has us down to just 3 crews now but building slowly again...its quite a challenge at that level...good luck and dont give up!! it can be done. extremely tight routes and hoa communities is the way to go...