Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-27-2012, 02:12 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I do what PROMOWER described. I also have to wonder like above mentioned? What determines the proper angle to any given radius to all is equal with the same outlook for your end result?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

All my work is commercial, which doesn't mean i want to do poor work but my caps look fine to me. there is about 1+ inch cut off each end of a cap so as you look around the radius the difference is at most 2" on a 17.5"-18" cap...so 18 then16,then18,then16 ect
Still interested in hearing how the angle is figured out correctly from scagrider or greenidustry?
Old 08-27-2012, 07:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You don't have to figure out the angle, I already explained how to do it with no measuring. Go back and read the first couple of pages.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gotcha..found your post....Am I still missing something ? If you lay 3 caps out along the radius, then mark down each side of the level that spans the caps, then cut the caps do you have issues with the overhang varying because you have changed the lenght of the cap when you cut it without it being in the exact place on the curve?

In other words the way I do it each cap is going to fit properly and have the exact overhang because it is cut in the exact position it will sit on the curve. It seems if you contuinue to lay caps out and mark between them at some point in the curve the cap will be "off" because you are consistenly removing their length each time you cut them.
Steve
Old 08-27-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When we jump from full cap to cut cap to full were cutting off such a small sliver from the cap to the left and right that its not noticeable. If were talking a real tight radius, firepit for example, measuring is the only way to go otherwise you would be correct in saying its gonna look like a hack job. We just use best judgement, if its still going to look like a killer finished job doing it the quick and easy way were def taking that rout if possible.
Old 08-27-2012, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The only time the angle really matters is for something like a coping for a rectangular pool with 4 rounded corners. This is an intance where all the cuts should mirror one another. But for a wall - usually not critical, as long as the cuts are clean
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtreem3d View Post
Gotcha..found your post....Am I still missing something ? If you lay 3 caps out along the radius, then mark down each side of the level that spans the caps, then cut the caps do you have issues with the overhang varying because you have changed the lenght of the cap when you cut it without it being in the exact place on the curve?

In other words the way I do it each cap is going to fit properly and have the exact overhang because it is cut in the exact position it will sit on the curve. It seems if you contuinue to lay caps out and mark between them at some point in the curve the cap will be "off" because you are consistenly removing their length each time you cut them.
Steve
As I see it he is laying out 2 caps with a space between them approximately the size of a cap and lays a cap on top and makes the mark. The outer 2 caps are in the correct spot with the correct overhang.

I think you need to have all of these techniques in your tool bag. 90 % of the time I lay one at a time eye up the overhang and eye up the cut with a one foot level, a trowel, or a square what ever is near and make my mark. On circular fire pits I will put a stake in the center and use a string line to find the angle on each side of the cap, this will yield an identical angle on each side of each cap all the time.

On seat wall where we are using ledge stone copping which are 24" long I will layout 2 pieces and take measurements and divide by 2 mark the stone, grab the grinder make my mark, and take it to the saw.

We usually sweeten all cuts by running the blade between them.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 08-27-2012, 11:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

[QUOTE=Birchwood;4511970]As I see it he is laying out 2 caps with a space between them approximately the size of a cap and lays a cap on top and makes the mark. The outer 2 caps are in the correct spot with the correct overhang.

That's how I said I do it but that each cap is not exactly the same size...your string line makes sense to get them all identical except for the last cap unless you do the math to figure the amount of caps and the corect angle to cut them all ?