Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-15-2012, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

What material for bike path

One of my clients want to do a bike/walking path around about 1/2 acre of their property. It will tie into a flagstone or paver walkway they also want built. What materials would be good for the bike path and also look good with the flagstone. I was thinking of using some kind of crushed granite in the bike path and just lay flagstone and crushed granite on the walkway. To explain further, one area will be a walkway to the pool but it will lead to the bike path/walkway the circle the border of the yard. Will crushed granite with stand bicycle traffic? Any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrand View Post
One of my clients want to do a bike/walking path around about 1/2 acre of their property. It will tie into a flagstone or paver walkway they also want built. What materials would be good for the bike path and also look good with the flagstone. I was thinking of using some kind of crushed granite in the bike path and just lay flagstone and crushed granite on the walkway. To explain further, one area will be a walkway to the pool but it will lead to the bike path/walkway the circle the border of the yard. Will crushed granite with stand bicycle traffic? Any suggestions?
Your in luck, here in pa we have a bike trail that stends across hte youngageny river. Over 300 miles it connects to the c and o canal trail and goes to washington dc. I have traveled this before to dc, all 300 miles and 95 percent of it is, is a thin layer of limestone dust. Im going to assume (not sure) that the material under it is compacted 2a. Like I said with a thin layer of dust over top. You cant go to thick with dust because you will likely slide out on a bike.
Old 08-15-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.regionaltrailcorp.com/yough_river_trail/

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look to the right. Other than bridges and a few paved pathways this is what the trail is constructed of.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Granite will look alot nicer than limestone will, put the same type of base as you would do for pavers put a layer a fabric between and compact your granite well, it should hold up to bikes.

Elves and Company - Holiday Decorating
Old 08-16-2012, 11:57 AM
LawnSite Member

http://www.kafkagranite.com/decompos...nite/index.php
Old 08-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Sponsor

Here in the sunshine state we use crushed washed shell or mulch. The shell holds up really well and if layed thick enough can discourage weed growth due to the Ph of the material.
easy-lift guy
Old 08-16-2012, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchwood View Post
Granite will look alot nicer than limestone will, put the same type of base as you would do for pavers put a layer a fabric between and compact your granite well, it should hold up to bikes.
Do you think it will be necessary to add a crushed rock, layer of sand,plastic then crushed granite? Would it be possible to add layers of crushed granite, compacting between each layer? I havent done anything like this so I am just seeking experienced members to help. thanks.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would have to agree that limestone screenings is your best bet. Anything else will make it very difficult "stay on track"
Old 08-16-2012, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrand View Post
Do you think it will be necessary to add a crushed rock, layer of sand,plastic then crushed granite? Would it be possible to add layers of crushed granite, compacting between each layer? I havent done anything like this so I am just seeking experienced members to help. thanks.
Around here you can get grade 8 paver base for 12-15 per ton, but granite is around 65 or more per ton, so we lay done 4-6 inches of grade 8, a layer of fabric so the two don't mix together and a 2" layer of granite. We usually also use steel edging but for a bike path it would get expensive.

Old 08-16-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

We have done bluestone chips mixed with epoxy and prepared the same way. Here is a pic of granite, the granite will compact well and wouldn't need any additive.

And I'll ignore you last comment.:
Attached Images