Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2012, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Snow up against a wall for any length of time melts from the inside out... this may or may not leak between the seam between the wall and you raised patio... from there it sits in the frozen ground looking for someplace to go... as it creeps over your basement wall, under the plate of your outside house wall will be the first that you notice it... by then your plate and studs are molded, if not rotted...

The top of your ground level needs to be below the plate of your wall, otherwise there will be problems during some winter event... if not this winter, perhaps in 5 yrs... but it is not likely you'll get by forever...

Roofs should never leak, but ice dams can cause a brand new roof to leak as well...
Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Snow up against a wall for any length of time melts from the inside out... this may or may not leak between the seam between the wall and you raised patio... from there it sits in the frozen ground looking for someplace to go... as it creeps over your basement wall, under the plate of your outside house wall will be the first that you notice it... by then your plate and studs are molded, if not rotted...

The top of your ground level needs to be below the plate of your wall, otherwise there will be problems during some winter event... if not this winter, perhaps in 5 yrs... but it is not likely you'll get by forever...

Roofs should never leak, but ice dams can cause a brand new roof to leak as well...
Hey man, thanks for getting back.

Ok, great points. I did however waterproof the entire area and in doing so, I dug all the way to the drain tile, replaced the drain tile, tarred the wall, covered it with visqueened and backfilled the hole with pea stone. The top of the plastic is sealed, above the brick-line, with a membrane and tar. That and the fact drainage should be optimal with the pea stone, base and sand, the water should never settle anywhere. It should drain right to the drain tile. In addition to that, it's a covered porch.

Again, not challenging, discussing. Thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

grade

What these people are trying to tell you, is that you need a proper base, and you need to pay attention to your grade, especially in snow country. Looking at your pics, you current grade is already too high. Grade should never be up to a window, even if it is glass block. Moisture will get trapped. If you have the pitch in the yard, i would drop the grade down so you have another step into the home.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Frozen ground doesn't drain at all... I know you're not challenging me and I'm not trying to be a jerk... it has been my job for years to look at any given project and determine what might go wrong and talk it through, before the problem becomes a problem, rather than after...
I am always glad when I'm proven wrong, then I know we've analysed it properly, and it can go forward...
Old 08-25-2012, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztman View Post
What these people are trying to tell you, is that you need a proper base, and you need to pay attention to your grade, especially in snow country. Looking at your pics, you current grade is already too high. Grade should never be up to a window, even if it is glass block. Moisture will get trapped. If you have the pitch in the yard, i would drop the grade down so you have another step into the home.
Yeah, I hear ya, unfortunately that is the low point in the yard. One of the reasons I waterproofed.

I just raised the grade around other parts of the house installing window wells around the other windows. I have had many rain storms since the waterproofing and it floods right there at that low spot by the window and the water just pours into the stone and gone, never seen a drop in the house since I waterproofed.

This is the only way I can do it as far as the grade goes.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Frozen ground doesn't drain at all... I know you're not challenging me and I'm not trying to be a jerk... it has been my job for years to look at any given project and determine what might go wrong and talk it through, before the problem becomes a problem, rather than after...
I am always glad when I'm proven wrong, then I know we've analysed it properly, and it can go forward...
I plan on having the correct base, one that drains well. That with the pea in the hole and the sand, it should drain fine, taking the path of least resistance, right to the drain tile. There should be very little, if any, hydrostatic pressure driving moisture into the house as it should run freely right down to the drain tile.

As far as moisture and drainage problems, I'm not that concerned. I see no reason the moisture would go anywhere but south to the drain tile.

I'm more concerned with stability issues and sinking, because of the pea stone.

That and was desiring opinions on the base to use.

I thank you for your time and ideas and will certainly be mindful while doing the project.
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOLDPRO View Post
lol, yeah, or I can just talk to you guys...

I have books but they don't answer specific questions. They are general.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Just do it, take a picture of your work and post it, These guys will be happy to tell all there secrets when they telling you everything you did wrong!! LOL
Old 08-27-2012, 01:57 PM
LawnSite Member

LOL, thanks for all the input guys...