Register free!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Code for a grill close to house

Im having trouble finding this for some reason. How close can i put a built in outdoor grill to a house?

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good question. I'm wondering if there is even a code for that since most grills are portable.

What does the grill manufacturer say? Have you tried calling a local fire department? Maybe they know the regs.

Personally, I keep my grill about 18" away from my house but I have hardi fiber cement siding. If the house has vinyl siding, the further away, the better.

I'll say that even at 18" I once had an incident where I forgot to empty my grease drip pan and the grease caught on fire, I had flames shooting out of every hole in the grill and it bubbled the paint on the trim of my house. It didn't really do anything to the hardi siding. I quickly turned off the gas and the flame went out pretty quickly....scorched my ribs though
Old 08-29-2012, 12:37 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The house has brick siding but I would be putting it further away than 18"

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!