Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM
LawnSite Member

First commercial job

This will be our first commercial installation. we have almost everything narrowed down except for the installation of the sod. Plan was originally quoted by design firm to have 660 sq yards of sod installed. I have done my best to figure total area and get around double from the plan which show areas to be sodded. Can someone with more experience with estimating accurately give me a better idea of the size of this job. This help would be greatly appreciated and valued. Thank you for your guy's time in advance.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2012, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Its just length x width dude...If you had a planometer(sp?) you could trace the edges with the scale plugged in.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Who cares what someone else said, if you can not handle your own calculations then this job is out of your league. Screw it up and your looking at a major problem with the business owner.

Ive taken advantage of the world market and started a new business. We are building bombs in the shape of prayer blankets for our middle eastern customers. Business couldnt be better. The prophets are going through the roof!!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I tried looking at the plans but they are blurry and small. Label dimensions and re post. I don't know what you are asking really either? It is basic area calculation, so what you come up with is what it must be if you has checked it over. Sometimes working plans just dont work out
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-22-2012, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

it should be in the $20 to $22 thousand range.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

price it on your number, if you get the job, and you were right - WIN. if you price it on their number and they were wrong - FAIL
Old 08-22-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I didn't post to be flamed or for people to jump right to rude. I think I need to explain a bit better. I checked my math had someone else do it as well. But whoever said planimeter thank you. Found a digital one online, very simple to use. I was using a plan drawn by design firm. With their schedule and numbers but it didnt add up to the plan because with a 1"=20ft conversion on plan I was coming up with double the sod. Discovered the discrepancy was not my math but the ratio is a 1"=10ft . I was really confused for a while how they came up with their numbers. Thank you for your comments.