Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-22-2012, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Blogging to help a website move up in rankings???

I ran a SEO search on my website: www.BestRockfordYards.com and the search said I should add "blogging" to my website.

My question is, how many people have blogging on their website?

And if you do have blogging on your website....what do you blog about? Weather? Yard tips? Idea's for future service/work?
2011 John Deere Pro Gator 2020a
2011 Lawn Solution Dual Hyrdo Aerator 24"
2011 Echo Handheld (trimmers to power pruners)
2007 Big Tex 4ft metal high side 7' x 12' Trailer
2012 PJ 7' x 16' Dump Trailer
2014 Vintage 8.5' x 24' Enclosed Trailer
2012 Ecolawn Applicator model 200 Compost Spreader
Old 08-22-2012, 09:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick13 View Post
I ran a SEO search on my website: www.BestRockfordYards.com and the search said I should add "blogging" to my website.

And if you do have blogging on your website....what do you blog about? Weather? Yard tips? Idea's for future service/work?
Rick, a blog would help with search ranking as your Flash-based site isn't really indexing on Bing/Yahoo. They only have your home page. Google has the sub-pages, but there's just not much content to index. Also, with Flash-driven sites, you miss out on some basic SEO elements, such as the H tags. If you search for Wix or Flash in this sub-forum, I think you'll see something from Greg or myself re: working with Flash-based sites.

As for blog topics? A couple/few hundred words every 7-10 days and you'll likely see a nice bounce. It's not too difficult when you break down services, seasons, weather conditions, localized advice/information, and any multitude of combinations.

Also, absolutely grab whatever free, locally-focused pages you can. Google+ Local (and get reviews from satisfied customers), Yahoo/Bing Local, Localeze, InfoUSA, Yelp, Facebook, etc.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hi tonygreek! Thanks for your comments. I think from reading a lot of your posts in the web forum....you definitely know your stuff!

When I do a Google search: aeration in Rockford, IL....which most people use in their search in Rockford.... I am usually 1 to 3 on the top page of the page for Google.

I have a Wix site, and I'm waiting to gather more information to change it this winter. I know my load times are slow with Wix...but once my page is up...I feel I get my point across for aeration.

And I was thinking of trying Facebook to link my website. I know this will help too. Something I will be working on this winter.

Do you do web design on the side? If so, PM me.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:34 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
When I do a Google search: aeration in Rockford, IL....which most people use in their search in Rockford.... I am usually 1 to 3 on the top page of the page for Google.

And I was thinking of trying Facebook to link my website. I know this will help too. Something I will be working on this winter.
Sorry, last night I tried to jump in and give feedback to a couple of you, but was extremely rushed so didn't go as thorough as I try to. I didn't do any keyword searches for you, just searched domain address to see what is/isn't indexed for you (we usually do this first when it comes to Flash sites). That's awesome where you're ranking. I see you at Google 1 for rockford, il aerating/aeration.

Re: Facebook, etc, absolutely claim what's yours. In looking at your site again, I see it's extremely light on location-based content. "Rockford" doesn't seem to be used in any "this is where we service" fashion, and there is no identifiable service location other than Rockford and your phone number. Work in content and Title tags with your locations. I assume Rockford is the key area, but people search more specific via smaller towns/suburbs/etc.

In terms of local citations, I didn't see much for you out there, and it comes down to not knowing how to search for you other than "rockford aeration". In a similar vein, what exactly is your business called? The domain name is one thing, but if it's not your business name, i wouldn't focus on it in the content. I would dump the "presents" tagline as, to me, it leads to the confusion. There's also the Rick's Aeration that I assume is what your actual business is called. I'd suggest picking one "brand" and sticking with it. The domain name doesn't have to match the content, but you want to be as easy to search for as possible. Create consistency and you'll see the beneficial outcome.

Additionally, when it comes to claiming your various local pages/directory listings, list your business name and address the exact same on everything. Even if you don't have a physical shop/office location, you can usually select that "no business is done here" and you'll just pop on the maps, etc for the area. Quite a bit of establishing your local legitimacy, in the search engines' eyes, is cross-referencing all of your contact info. If something doesn't match, it can, and likely is, filtered out of the rank equation.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Rick....Do you offer any other services besides core aeration?
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 08-24-2012, 04:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

For PayPal buttons, it is aeration. But I mow, edge, trim trees & bushes, slit seed but I don't have a way of really knowing what to charge someone without looking at each job. So I will bill them through PayPal....and even though PayPal takes 3%....it's nice to be able to send reminders to customers who haven't paid yet.

But my website is mainly aeration....but I'm going to make other pages showing my other services....but no PayPal buttons for those services.

I am also going to work on a few short videos to post on my website too. But that's in the works right now.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I personally use Quickbooks...which is run by Intuit and offers online bank to bank payment. They charge .50 cents per transaction no matter the dollar amount.

Seriously think about adding those services since they are ones that you provide. It will also give you more opportunities of being found when potential customers search for those services in your area.
04 Chevy 3500
04 F350 Diesel
3 60" Toro Zmaster/Lesco 48"
3 8'2" Boss V-Plows
Hiniker 9'6" V-Plow
20' Enclosed trailer/16' Open trailer
18' Skid Loader Trailer
2012 S185 Bobcat 2-Speed

Old 08-25-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Hey Rick.

Blogging is beneficial if done right, and requires very litle effort.

blogging for business is very popular because you only need to write small messages/pages the relate to your services/site content. If you employ the right mix of seo strategies with in your blog then it only adds more relevance to your site. Blogging is also worth more then just seo benefits though. It also shows potential customers that you are knowledgeable and credibility and reputation with people is what will sell your products or services.

Topics to blog about should be in relation to your main site, but for the benefit of the reader too. whenever possible, link to your site using link and title text to match the title of the page your linking too. So yes weather, yard tips....... is a good starting point.

Because I am so terrible at writing I opt for the much simpler option of using twitter. Not as good in terms of seo but hey it works.
Old 08-25-2012, 01:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided to revamp my website. I am going to take my Wix (flash) site and convert it into HMTL 5. I already have a mobile site, but it's kinda lite....plus HMTL 5 will run on mobile, IPad, Apple, Windows, etc....so I should have all my bases covered.

Plus I won't have a long load time when you try to long on to my website.

I have decided to make sub-categories the services I offer...and to include a few pictures. Hoping to make a few video's of each service also...to give the customer an idea in what their yard will look like after each service. So the videos might be a little weak at first, just wanting to get them up.

So I'm going into 2.0 for BestRockfordYards.com.....lol!

But I will have the full blown website done before next Spring. I want to be able to do some lite video editing, but right now it will be just showing the equipment in action!

So, anyone have some good ideas that I should include???
Old 08-26-2012, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

On the blog topic- searchengineland.com had a post in the 30 days or so laying out what your first 9 posts should be. It was great.
Posted via Mobile Device