Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-20-2012, 06:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Full season contracts

I am working on getting more full season contracts, meaning, snowplowing, mowing, fert/spray etc...the whole shabang. I currently am not in desperate need of work but with a very mild winter in MN last year I'd like to have more contracted work rather than a majority of per time.

For myself and my area, Town homes are the best bet. Does anyone have any ideas for getting new Town home contracts? In the past, I've found that some of them redo contracts once a year or at a particular time of the year. I've also found that some are operated by a corporate umbrella and finding the decision maker is tough with phone solicitation.

I guess I'm just not sure, I've generated a list of names and numbers and addresses. Is there a certain pitch anyone uses? Just mail flyers to these people? In person is very time costly. any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

How many employees do you have? Usually associations or management companies want you to bid on a "packet" of properties. If you don't have the manpower to plow one or two of these complexes you might look into commercial properties, especially industrial parks where you can clump a few lots into one run both plowing and mowing.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:06 PM
LawnSite Member

I have a couple lawn crews and a couple landscaping crews...and the chemical applicator. I have a few dumptrucks and a couple pick ups and front end loaders. We do currently take care of a couple townhomes/grocery stores/malls and what not and only do the driveways for clients we already do other seasoned work for. I'm not worried about taking on the work, and driveways are always easier to do because the time frame to get them plowed is generally less of a priority than businesses. But I would like to get a couple larger townhomes and possibly add on another lawn crew or shrub trimming crew if need be.

I would however like to get Townhomes near other ones I currently do just to assure that they will get done in a timely manner...having to drive all over town in a snow storm eats up too much time for me. So I am somewhat picky on which Townhomes I want and dont want to just do mass advertising or completely random cold calling, so the places I do put effort into advertising I want it to be as impacting as possible.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwestTurfInc View Post
Does anyone have any ideas for getting new Town home contracts? .
Contacts or contracts?
INFO USA sells business leads.

I think if you are going to be selective, you will have to canvass your potential clients, I would follow up (cold call) with a mix of professional letters and phone calls to set up appointments.

Have a list of benefits you offer vs being a me too company.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

contracts.

It's very tough to canvas town home complexes. Not unless its a rental unit, there's no leasing office or person to talk to on site. I've tried cold calling them and finding a decision maker let alone someone to be willing to send information to is very hard. Hell, a lot of town homes around here have locked mailbox units that dont even allow a place to put flyers in, and I'm not about to go door to door and bother 99% of the people to find the 1%er that either makes the decision for the association or knows how to contact them. I'm not trying to be negative about it but there's companies that strictly seem to do town home complexes and have full season contracts. 2 winters ago here we had a very large amount of snow and some of those companies went under because of there cost to plow those properties at a set monthly rate. I want a balance of contracted work to per time properties and I'm just hoping someone would share that valuable knowledge.