Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-29-2012, 07:42 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLC RI View Post
Drop Ins Illumicare, Brilliance, Dauer

Integrated : CAST, Aurora, Kichler ( I wanted to include Hadco in there but many of their Integrated LED's are housed in their composite fixtures and that's a tough sell).

Color, lumens per watt, cost/lumen, warranty, changeability- if integrated module fails, is it field replaceable?

my 2 cents

George
Ok, thanks for the input on selections.

I am so far leaning toward the integrated fixtures from CAST, FX, Vista, Kichler, Volt, and possibly a couple others. Aurora might be an interesting choice also to include.

Integrated lamps: Illumicare, brilliance, Hadco, Uniques lamp, (Im not real familiar with Dauer but will look into them also).

Keep the input coming

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com
Old 08-29-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have been wondering about Unique's drop-in LED. The print ads are very slick.
But I haven't heard any feedback on actual use

"This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine."
Old 08-29-2012, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Comparisons between LED lamps are surely going to be easier to compile and categorize than comparisons between LED fixtures. But even withing the LED lamp sector you have companies that offer a full range of fitments and outputs and others that offer a limited range of products. Also, it is so important to understand the features and qualities of LED lamps that are not immediately visible in the light output alone. So many LED lamps on the market today have not been designed for use in outdoor low voltage lighting systems.

With fixtures it is more challenging. First of all you will have many categories of LED fixtures to compare. Bullets, Downlights, Path Lights, Step / Niche lights, etc... and even within those categories you will have trouble accurately comparing products from different manufacturers. Then there is the question of what exactly is an integrated LED fixture? Many "LED Fixtures" on the market (some have already been mentioned here) are not truly integrated at all, but reply on an LED Module (a lamp by any other name...) that is not manufactured by the fixture company. Should these be considered as integrated fixtures? I dont think so.

LED Lamp comparisons - Slate: Illumicare, Halco, Brilliance,

LED Fixture (Bullet Style) comparisons - Kichler, Vista, F/X, HK, BK, Auroralight

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 08-29-2012, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Member

James,

Just curious. Are the LED elements in the integrated fixtures you list above made by the fixture manufacturer? For that matter, how many of the LED lamps are actually made by the "manufacturer", or are they just importers? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes
Old 08-30-2012, 09:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indylights View Post
James,

Just curious. Are the LED elements in the integrated fixtures you list above made by the fixture manufacturer? For that matter, how many of the LED lamps are actually made by the "manufacturer", or are they just importers? Would love to hear your thoughts.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes
No, the LEDs used in integrated fixtures are not made by the fixture manufacturers. I would suspect that very few of the LED lamps on the market today are made by the "manufacturer". Which leads us to the need for some clarifications.

What is a manufacturer? If company "A" attends a big Asian trade show, finds some suitable LED lamps, signs a purchase agreement with some unknown vendor at that trade show, and then imports those lamps into their warehouse (branded or not) are they considered a manufacturer, a distributor, importer, or ???.

How about this scenario: Company "I" researches, develops, adapts, engineers, and sources unique components to build a line of LED lamps. They then contract out the manufacture and assembly of those lamps to a single facility. They have full time, salaried employees on the ground to conduct QC and administrative functions at the manufacturing facility. The product is then shipped to N. America for distribution. Are they considered a manufacturer?

My point in the post above yours Scott was to highlight the differences between LED integrated fixtures and those that claim to be but are just using a pre-fab LED module from a 3rd party. If it plugs in like a lamp, replaces like a lamp, works like a lamp, then it should be considered a lamp, not a fixture.

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 08-30-2012, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Member

James,

To answer the question in your third paragraph, if the company isn't actually physically making anything themselves and is just QC-ing the assembly, I would struggle to call them a manufacturer. I would list them more as a consultant, but you could nit pick that all day, and I don't care about doing that. And no, I really don't care if they are or not, it's just that sometimes your bias comes through so pure about other products it's kind of funny. Tim, not to hijack this thread and I'm sorry for that, but I would include all the manufacturers James states and include Cast in whatever category you want to.

Scott Maloney
Sunflower Landscapes
Old 08-31-2012, 07:07 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

James and Scott, thanks for the dialogue. Those are good points, but for the testing I would classify them by whatever brand they are packaged in regardless of the semantics of being a "manufacturer" or "importer". If is bears their company name it belongs to them, so to speak. I am sure many companies use a lot of the same tech across the board.

Tim Ryan
Lite4 Outdoor Lighting
www.lite-4.com