Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-18-2012, 09:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
I know what you mean. I gotta remember that. Thanks, Eric
Most of us have seen the website too. The advice was to change it to HTML vs Flash so search engines can index it better.
Old 09-25-2012, 03:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I am surprised at the level of miss-education, people so uninformed they apparently haven't a clue that this industry isn't just agricultural but it's also into recycling and anyone who hasn't figured it out better start getting with the program, we are choking the earth with garbage and anyone thinking I would be so wasteful as to use a petrol-based product into which I am going to insert organic waste is got to be joking.

That not only totally goes against the entire industry, it isn't green at all, it pollutes and it also takes longer ...

Put the crap inside bags I just have to separate it later, by dumping the leaves back out...
Read: We do NOT put organic waste inside a petrol-based product!
NO!

Leaves and branches and grass all decompose.
The plastic does not!

I am even more surprised that they would allow plant-based waste and petrol-based products to be deposited at the same area in the landfill, it makes no sense because landfills are part of the recycling industry, why would they not care?

As for myself, I use tarps?
It's clean, effective, and the waste goes to the mulch yard where they make soils and mulches out of it.
Quote:
I understand, but it is a free country and people will choose as they may. For those that are green, there are alternatives that will still allow people to use the Slap-on attachment and square waste receptacle to bag leaves. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I am partnering with a company that makes biodegradable bags suitable for my product. They are made of starches and will turn into soil when left exposed to the elements. It is all about choice, and I encourage anyone that is interested in biodegradable bags to send me a private email requesting the contact information for the company that offers this product, and I will gladly give it to you.

People may also reuse plastic bags to gather leaves. Just gather the leaves in the plastic bags like you normally would, transport them to where they are to be dumped, and release them from the plastic bags, keeping the bags to fill once again. Actually, I would encourage this because it saves the lawn maintenance professional from the unnecessary, additional cost of having to pay for more bags.
For those of you interested, I have a link on the www.slapon.net website that links to the compostable bag company that I am partnering with. It is at the bottom, right hand corner of the Home page. Compostable bags are different than the plastic bags in that the compostable bags are biodegradable and will turn back to the earth from which they came.
Old 09-25-2012, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Don't worry. Someone will come along soon enough to b!tch about THAT too.

Some people can't be pleased.

Also, I hate you. I was raking debris into a round can the other day and wished I had a can with flat sides. You're gonna end up costing me money! LOL
Old 09-25-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Don't worry. Someone will come along soon enough to b!tch about THAT too.

Some people can't be pleased.

Also, I hate you. I was raking debris into a round can the other day and wished I had a can with flat sides. You're gonna end up costing me money! LOL
Good hearing you again. Hope all is well. Regarding your first point, all I can do is try. Regarding your second point, what are you waiting for? Time to put down the money. Honestly, I am hoping that those that buy the product share their experience with others on this forum, where I am hoping their experience is positive. Take care, Eric
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Good hearing from you again. Hope all is well. Regarding your first point, all I can do is try. Regarding your second point, what are you waiting for? Time to put down the money. Honestly, I am hoping that those that buy the product share their experience with others on this forum, where I am hoping their experience is positive. Take care, Eric
Oaknut, I hope you know I was kidding regarding having you buy the Slap-on attachment. I have thought about it a long while and realize what I was trying to communicate may not have gone over the way I intended, so I apologize if that is the case. I would be honored if you or anyone were to buy the Slap-on attachment, but in no way would I expect anyone to do so. Anyway, thanks for your contributions to this thread and hope things are going well. Sincerely, Eric
Old 10-18-2012, 12:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Oaknut, I hope you know I was kidding regarding having you buy the Slap-on attachment. I have thought about it a long while and realize what I was trying to communicate may not have gone over the way I intended, so I apologize if that is the case. I would be honored if you or anyone were to buy the Slap-on attachment, but in no way would I expect anyone to do so. Anyway, thanks for your contributions to this thread and hope things are going well. Sincerely, Eric

Funny you should post! I was just thinking that you should be bumping this thread since it's "leaf time".

No problem - I didn't take it the wrong way at all.

Another funny thing - I was going to suggest (unless I already have and forgot) that you consider an attachment that goes on the "ground side" that acts as a "dust pan", or "funnel" to allow faster/easier loading of leaves into the can.
Then tonight in Lowes, I saw a new trash can with a "dust pan" lip. The lip snaps on/off and can be used to secure a trash bag - although, it doesn't secure it to the "top" as your device does.
It was $20, but only 33 gal. in size.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
That is a good point. What do you use?
these things

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

If you could make a Slap-on for these things, that would be great!!!

I will have to get one if there are a lot of leaves this year.

Click here for my work thread
The kid who cuts lawns, and does it very well

Last edited by kawasaki guy; 10-18-2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Funny you should post! I was just thinking that you should be bumping this thread since it's "leaf time".

No problem - I didn't take it the wrong way at all.

Another funny thing - I was going to suggest (unless I already have and forgot) that you consider an attachment that goes on the "ground side" that acts as a "dust pan", or "funnel" to allow faster/easier loading of leaves into the can.
Then tonight in Lowes, I saw a new trash can with a "dust pan" lip. The lip snaps on/off and can be used to secure a trash bag - although, it doesn't secure it to the "top" as your device does.
It was $20, but only 33 gal. in size.
I know the product well. It is the "Trashpan". I actually spoke with the owner of the company. I shipped him my product and he shipped me his for each of us to examine. He liked my product a lot and it works really well on his container. His product has the same problem you will have with any container that has a can liner. The liner collapses inside of the container without the Slap-on attachment. He introduced my product as an accessory to his with Lowes, but they were unwilling at this time to carry it. Thanks for getting back with me.--Eric
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasaki guy View Post
these things

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

If you could make a Slap-on for these things, that would be great!!!

I will have to get one if there are a lot of leaves this year.
I know what you mean, and I may actually end up making a Slap-on attachment for round receptacles one day, but square receptacles have so many natural advantages over round receptacles if you are intent on setting the container on its side to be used as a collection bin. With a round receptacle, only a small part of the receptacle opening lies flat with the ground, which makes it more difficult to sweep or rake debris into it. That is why dustpans are made flat and not round. These receptacles being sold at Grainger have a 23 1/2" square opening, which is the perfect size to rake debris into. These are quality, commercial grade containers, similar in durability to the Brute receptacles sold by Rubbermaid. You may give it a try and see if you like the square receptacle.
Old 10-18-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Personally I can't see myself using the Slap-on device.

However, it does look to me like one of the more useful leaf bagging aids...better than all these funnels and plastic hands and such. I appreciate that the product literature does not hype it up to be something it isn't the way some products do, and I also think that "Mr. Slapon" is presenting both his product and himself very well here, taking questions and criticism without getting all personal about it.

I can see myself recommending this as a leaf cleanup solution to those I know that do their leaves themselves without much for powered equipment, and will do so should the opportunity arise. Usually I wouldn't do that without trying it myself, but it seems to present a relatively cost effective and simple solution for those "self baggers".