Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 08-25-2012, 02:11 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
my suggestion would be to call 2-3 large companies in Dallas or closer to your home and ask them if you could haul off 20-30 bags of leaves...

take those bags and dump them on one small area of your lawn and have one guy bagging them back up...20-30 seconds.....this does no have to be a professional video.....just enough to show your product-
That is actually a good idea. I can probably get a nursery that composts leaves to allow me to cut a video on their property. It would also be a good backdrop for the video. Thanks!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:18 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

people down here stalk the recycling bins...i'd stalk the plastic bags around neihgborhoods the night before the pickup--

you have a great idea...you could use waste newspaper to show off your product-
Old 08-25-2012, 06:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
That is actually a good idea. I can probably get a nursery that composts leaves to allow me to cut a video on their property. It would also be a good backdrop for the video. Thanks!

This fall you can come out with my crew and do a bagging competition and I will video it.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:22 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duekster View Post
This fall you can come out with my crew and do a bagging competition and I will video it.
Awesome. I appreciate it and will take you up on the offer. Send me a private message with your contact information.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
people down here stalk the recycling bins...i'd stalk the plastic bags around neihgborhoods the night before the pickup--

you have a great idea...you could use waste newspaper to show off your product-
If you could help me out, I am not sure what you mean by stalking recycling bins and stalking plastic bags around the neighborhood? It sounds interesting, so I don't want to miss out on the message.

Now, regarding a substitute for leaves when demonstrating my product, I have used wood shavings that are generally used to line animal stalls, and it's worked really well. They're nearly the size and weight of leaves, so the feeling is the same when you sweep or rake them into the container. You can get large bags of the wood shavings at TSC for about $6.50.

Thanks for the complement on the idea for the product. If you don't mind me asking, what do you think will be the crucial consideration that anyone will make in deciding whether to buy this product and how do I address this?
Old 08-25-2012, 11:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
You never posted a website url...
Wht didn't you post this?

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SLA...C&cm_vc=HPPVZ3
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

In my opinion this will be great for home owners with small properties.

We use leaf loaders(16hp) that fill 10 yard leaf boxes by shreading the leaves. The leaves can be over a foot deep here in NH. It would take days to clean up a property by filling plastic bags. But as someone mentioned this would work great for hedge trimming and pruning clean up.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNyz View Post
Thanks for doing it for me.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapon View Post
Actually, regarding chicks in hot clothes, a guy that works out at the same gym as I suggested that I get some hot chicks in bikinis to do the video. Good idea or not? What do you think?
Yeah... Ummm... title it "Two girls using a Slapon".

Before you even mentioned it, I tried a Google image search for your product.
I held my breath and peeked through my fingers half expecting to see something else show up.

Folks need to consider all of the possible "negative" associations with names they come up with before they say "Hey, that sounds GREAT!"
Old 08-25-2012, 01:05 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMLC View Post
In my opinion this will be great for home owners with small properties.

We use leaf loaders(16hp) that fill 10 yard leaf boxes by shreading the leaves. The leaves can be over a foot deep here in NH. It would take days to clean up a property by filling plastic bags. But as someone mentioned this would work great for hedge trimming and pruning clean up.
You're right, there are other options out there, each with its advantages and disadvantages.

Leaf loaders are great, but they also have their drawbacks. First, they're really expensive, especially relative to the Slap-on attachment and its accessories. Second, you generally need to create a bed that will accommodate the leaves that are being loaded, incurring additional expenses. Third, leaf loaders are mechanical and can break down, causing ongoing maintenance to be more expensive. Fourth, they consume gas, so you have that ongoing expense. Fifth, they are not mobile, so you will often have to bring the leaves to the loader instead of taking the loader to the leaves. You have to add the time that you are putting leaves on a tarp and dragging it to the leaf loader toward the total time required to bag leaves. The attachment with a receptacle can be set up practically anywhere. Sixth, leaf loaders are prone to clog at times, especially when leaves are wet. No problem with the Slap-on device. Actually, leaves are probably easier to bag when wet. Seventh, because the Slap-on attachment is not mechanical, it is easier to operate. It's also easier to store. There could be other advantages others could add.

I am sure there are other disadvantages of the attachment, but I am hoping lawn care professionals will find a place for it with their other tools.

Thanks for your input.